2009 Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Keepers

Postby jswede » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Field wrote:I usually try to shoot for a .290 average (atleast) in my Roto leagues so a career .280 hitter would most likely hurt my chances to reach that number.

Assuming a 9 man hitting line-up and all equal ABs, if your other 8 guys avg .290, a .280 hitting Grady would drag you all the way down to a .289... maybe aim for a .291 with your other 8 guys in that case.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 pm

jswede wrote:
Field wrote:I usually try to shoot for a .290 average (atleast) in my Roto leagues so a career .280 hitter would most likely hurt my chances to reach that number.

Assuming a 9 man hitting line-up and all equal ABs, if your other 8 guys avg .290, a .280 hitting Grady would drag you all the way down to a .289... maybe aim for a .291 with your other 8 guys in that case.

That about sums up how minimal the damage really is.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
jswede wrote:

That about sums up how minimal the damage really is.

So explain to me how that helps you and doesn't hurt you? :-? I never said it was extremely significant, all I said is that it hurts you if you are targeting a .290 BA which it does. It seems to me that you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing because the point was rather simple. I try to build most of my teams with guys who are .300 hitters especially early on in the draft. If they have an off-year they are much less likely to hurt you significantly in BA than a players like Sizemore who have an off-year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jswede » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Field wrote:So explain to me how that helps you and doesn't hurt you? :-? I never said it was extremely significant, all I said is that it hurts you if you are targeting a .290 BA which it does. It seems to me that you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing because the point was rather simple. I try to build most of my teams with guys who are .300 hitters especially early on in the draft. If they have an off-year they are much less likely to hurt you significantly in BA than a players like Sizemore who have an off-year.

I think it was assumed by all that he wouldn't technically "help" you, but the issue was taken up by NZ because you put his avg down as the reason that you would pass on him in the first round....

You can hang on the the fact that you are technically right, but if that's how you run a team, I want to play in your league. For money.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 pm

jswede wrote:You can hang on the the fact that you are technically right, but if that's how you run a team, I want to play in your league. For money.

:-P
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28 pm

jswede wrote:I think it was assumed by all that he wouldn't technically "help" you, but the issue was taken up by NZ because you put his avg down as the reason that you would pass on him in the first round....

You can hang on the the fact that you are technically right, but if that's how you run a team, I want to play in your league. For money.

Maybe you missed the part of my original post where I indicated that those were 'quick comments'. I also stated that Sizemore could hurt you in the average category which he is in fact doing this year. Players with a lower expected BA entering the season are much more likely to hurt you signficantly in the category than a player who typically bats in the .290-.310 range - see Howard.

Furthermore, if you go into a draft thinking 'oh well, it should only drop me .001 points in BA' you'll find yourself cutting corners in other areas which just isn't acceptable to me. That's the type of thinking that lands you in the middle of the pack. Even if Grady has his typical year, but your 3rd round pick hits .270 instead of .291 then you are in a little deeper hole. These things don't always even-out, so it is important to have as high of an expected BA (especially with your early draft picks) as possible given that it certainly can be variable year-to-year. BA tends to be overlooked by a lot of fantasy owners by the more flashy categoires like HRs and SBs, I have found that most of the time BA is a key contributor to who comes out on top. There also isn't as easy of a quick fix for BA as there is for HRs & SBs mid-season.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Everybody seems to be busting each other's chops over minutia lately.
Is this topic really worth arguing about? :-P
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Field wrote:So explain to me how that helps you and doesn't hurt you? :-? I never said it was extremely significant, all I said is that it hurts you if you are targeting a .290 BA which it does. It seems to me that you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing because the point was rather simple.

:-? The only one arguing here for the sake of arguing is you. You made a mistake to say Sizemore's .280 BA hurts a fantasy roster. Clearly it doesn't and jswede showed very simply why it doesn't. Instead of admitting your error you continue to make feeble attempts to cover it up :-t
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Field wrote:So explain to me how that helps you and doesn't hurt you? :-? I never said it was extremely significant, all I said is that it hurts you if you are targeting a .290 BA which it does. It seems to me that you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing because the point was rather simple.

:-? The only one arguing here for the sake of arguing is you. You made a mistake to say Sizemore's .280 BA hurts a fantasy roster. Clearly it doesn't and jswede showed very simply why it doesn't. Instead of admitting your error you continue to make feeble attempts to cover it up :-t

I've actually been commenting on fantasy baseball strategy with your early selections.... From my perspective there was no mistake, a player like Sizemore with an expected BA of .280 could (i.e. has a high probability) hurt your in BA hence he should not be a top 5 pick. If he does indeed end up at .280 he might not hurt you a whole lot, but even if it's .001 (it's actually .002 assuming 600 AB average) that could still be a 2 or 3 point swing depending on how tight the pack is. While you might think it's minimal, it still makes an impact on your season total.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Old_Style wrote:Everybody seems to be busting each other's chops over minutia lately.
Is this topic really worth arguing about? :-P

Yeah I don't even respond to certain posters anymore since all they want to do is argue for the sake of arguing. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers