2009 Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Keepers

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Field wrote:Too high for Grady, I wouldn't take a player this high who could hurt me in the AVG category

Sizemore is a career .280 hitter so don't be fooled into thinking he would hurt you in the AVG category. He may not help but it is wrong to say he would hurt you.

I agree though that 5 is too high. Sizemore should be taken just outside of the first round in 2009.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:49 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Field wrote:Too high for Grady, I wouldn't take a player this high who could hurt me in the AVG category

Sizemore is a career .280 hitter so don't be fooled into thinking he would hurt you in the AVG category. He may not help but it is wrong to say he would hurt you.

I agree though that 5 is too high. Sizemore should be taken just outside of the first round in 2009.

I usually try to shoot for a .290 average (atleast) in my Roto leagues so a career .280 hitter would most likely hurt my chances to reach that number.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Field wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

I usually try to shoot for a .290 average (atleast) in my Roto leagues so a career .280 hitter would most likely hurt my chances to reach that number.

No, a career .240 hitter would hurt your chances, a .280 hitter wouldn't.

In roto leagues, a team batting avg. of .280 would see you around the middle of the pack.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby speedy27 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:05 pm

just curious as to where Furcal might be in the projections had he not gotten hurt?
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 pm

.280 AVG in my 3 Yahoo leagues would put you 3rd, 5th and 6th for the category. I would say below .280 definitely hurts you albeit not much.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 pm

NZ Eff wrote:No, a career .240 hitter would hurt your chances, a .280 hitter wouldn't.

In roto leagues, a team batting avg. of .280 would see you around the middle of the pack.

Obviously a .240 hitter will hurt you in the category more than a .280 hitter, but a .280 hitter will still hurt you if you are shooting for a .290 BA. In the early rounds you should really target players who have a high likelihood of hitting over .300 from my fantasy experience. Loading up on the Howards, Sizemore's, Beltran's, Phillips' will make it difficult to make up ground in that category without scarificing in another or expecting several of your other players to exceed their career norms/trends. I also don't strive to be middle of the pack :-D ;-D .
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Field » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Yoda wrote:.280 AVG in my 3 Yahoo leagues would put you 3rd, 5th and 6th for the category. I would say below .280 definitely hurts you albeit not much.

A .280 average in my 3 leagues would net you:

3 out of 12 possible pts
6/12 pts(in a league with deeper starting rosters)
5/12 pts

That's just not good enough to get it done unless it's an ultra competitive or deep league.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Every player has their deficiencies, you have to build around them. If you draft Reyes you better find some power elsewhere, stolen bases with Pujols and likewise if you draft Sizemore maybe draft high average guys later in the draft. I know what you are saying but there are only a couple players that get it done across the board.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby jswede » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm

what's with Quentin way down and no Ludwick?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Field wrote:Obviously a .240 hitter will hurt you in the category more than a .280 hitter, but a .280 hitter will still hurt you if you are shooting for a .290 BA.

A .280 hitter such as Sizemore will not hurt you even if you are shooting for a .290 BA. You're way off the mark if you genuinely believe this. .235 hitters like Dunn and C.Young are a completely different story.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers