2009 Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Keepers

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:24 am

im a big matt cain fan, but hes way to high for me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:52 am

victorino should be in top 100.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:45 am

What do you guys think about Longoria at 15?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:10 am

Where's Nate McLouth? He's got to be top 100, in fact, i'd put him near the top 40
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:36 am

jfg wrote:What do you guys think about Longoria at 15?

way too early. i dont see him hitting for a high enough average or stealing enough bases to justify that spot.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tommy John » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 am

I don't think Gallardo is a top 100 either (yet?). Top 100 based on potential and not production, ie Alex Gordon. I know this isn't a projection thread, but what do you all think about Gallardo for next year. His surgery was to his ACL and not his arm, don't know if it was his landing leg or not. I have him in a keeper for next year but have to pay a little for him.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:34 am

Gallardo should be top 100
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby facts » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:02 pm

Why is Quentin so low? He is a former 1st round pick and his k/bb is great for a young player. Also, he has produced in all months. I think he'll keep this up for a long time.
facts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
jfg wrote:What do you guys think about Longoria at 15?

way too early. i dont see him hitting for a high enough average or stealing enough bases to justify that spot.

Hmm. The thing is is that after the top 12 or so you're looking at those kind of stats anyway. You're either buying home runs, stolen bases or a little of both. A 30/30 guy or 40/20 guy with a .300+ average is going to buy long gone at 15. I don't know if I see anybody other than Soriano and maybe Rollins under Longoria that I'd want before him. None of those guys have the potential he has and really almost all of those guys are probably on the same level or under his level right now. 15 seems like the right spot to me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:13 pm

First off, I'll always view keeper leagues as a "must-win" now rather than later until proven otherwise. The basis of a keeper should always be in position to win now and in the future, with the focus of now. A player with the best combination of youth, upside, some kind of track record, and some room for improvement is ideal but that shouldn't knock down the value of an older player that can be more productive now rather than later. For example, Soriano at #31 is quite low (I'm still thinking he's a keeper in the #10-15 range).

That said, at times, you might want to take chances on upside. Longoria at #15 might sound really bullish heading into next year even in a keeper league but based off his rookie year where his flyball rate is a bit better than expected and his line on just short of a full season, he could likely be a better option within or exceeding 5 years than say, Jimmy Rollins. On top of that, he has room for improvement to build off such ceiling. I don't think an established player like Carlos Lee or Carlos Beltran with little marginal added upside, past their peak season, is as lucrative as Longoria I'd say.

With regards to the list, Sizemore's a little too high (#10-15 sounds fine) whereas M-Cab and Holliday are still bona fide top 10 keepers. Johan Santana and Ichiro are quite high for my liking as well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers