Postby yaboygino » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:43 pm

whens he guna be up?
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LaPorta = Braun?

Postby cnote23 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 pm

well from Rotowire they have said setember but who knows maybe by the end of this month I wouldn't be surprised.
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafecaster
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am

Well, I think LaPorta is on the US Olympic roster and so that might have some say in regards to a possible September call-up.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby The Cow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 am

Indians GM Mark Shapiro says LaPorta is a likely June 2009 call up. I like how everyone is NOW on the Ryan Braun bandwagon. A lot of these people in this thread were saying Braun was going to disappoint this year. I had Braun as a top 5 player overall prior to the draft. Just wanted to pat myself on the back.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:57 am

The Cow wrote:Indians GM Mark Shapiro says LaPorta is a likely June 2009 call up. I like how everyone is NOW on the Ryan Braun bandwagon. A lot of these people in this thread were saying Braun was going to disappoint this year. I had Braun as a top 5 player overall prior to the draft. Just wanted to pat myself on the back.

The Cow

why? hes wasnt a 5th ranked player then and he isnt now. :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:37 am

The Cow wrote:Indians GM Mark Shapiro says LaPorta is a likely June 2009 call up. I like how everyone is NOW on the Ryan Braun bandwagon. A lot of these people in this thread were saying Braun was going to disappoint this year. I had Braun as a top 5 player overall prior to the draft. Just wanted to pat myself on the back.

The Cow

The Braun bandwagon started last year. The pre-season discussion revolved around whether he was a 1st or 2nd rounder (only a few claimed he wasn't worth a 2nd round selection). He was drafted in the first round in the majority of drafts after the likes of MCab and Utely - so there was certainly nothing wrong with taking him after those guys especially with his K/BB, lack of experience, achilles issue in ST. Very few ever doubted his talent and ability.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Cow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

The Cow

why? hes wasnt a 5th ranked player then and he isnt now. :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b

Of all the players being touted as top 5 picks or even top 8 only 2 rank higher than Braun in Yahoo. Those players are Hanley and Holliday, my number 2 and 3 ranked players overall. Unless of course you guys had the likes of Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler and Ryan Ludwick ranked in the top 8 pre-season. The best 3 picks of the first round were Hanley, Holliday and Braun.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:25 am

Field wrote:

The Cow

The Braun bandwagon started last year. The pre-season discussion revolved around whether he was a 1st or 2nd rounder (only a few claimed he wasn't worth a 2nd round selection). He was drafted in the first round in the majority of drafts after the likes of MCab and Utely - so there was certainly nothing wrong with taking him after those guys especially with his K/BB, lack of experience, achilles issue in ST. Very few ever doubted his talent and ability.

The common thinking in this cafe was that Braun would regress and hit .280. Most in the cafe had Braun as a 2nd round pick.

The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:36 am

i was joking.

see to me, even if braun hit .350 with 50 hr and you had him ranked 1 overall in the preseason it wouldnt be a "good projection" by you. it would be a risky/you getting lucky. i give you props if you really thought he would keep up last year's pace, or even improve, but i dont classify it as a "smart" thing to do. i dont know if that makes sense, and im not trying to come down on you, but its pretty late and im short with words. X-I

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i was joking.

see to me, even if braun hit .350 with 50 hr and you had him ranked 1 overall in the preseason it wouldnt be a "good projection" by you. it would be a risky/you getting lucky. i give you props if you really thought he would keep up last year's pace, or even improve, but i dont classify it as a "smart" thing to do. i dont know if that makes sense, and im not trying to come down on you, but its pretty late and im short with words. X-I

I think you are saying that since Braun was not considered a top 5 pick, more of a 2nd round pick, that taking Braun before early 2nd round was a reach because Braun could be had early 2nd round. Problem is, say I have the 5th pick, I think Braun is the best pick here, if I don't take Braun with the 5th pick, odds are I do not get Braun in the 2nd. So if I don't take Braun with the 5th pick and instead take Pujols, Miggy or Johan for instance, I would lose out on the best player available.

Also I don't think Braun had to hit at last year's level to be a top 5 pick there was room for some regression and he would still be a top 5 pick in my book. So call me stupid, for taking Braun, if thats stupid well then thats a compliment.

The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers