LaPorta = Braun? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LaPorta = Braun?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LaPorta = Braun?

Postby THAT1Wiseguy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 pm

Is it safe to make this comparison in regards to POWER numbers only?
THAT1Wiseguy
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LaPorta = Braun?

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:52 pm

no
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:12 pm

If you compare their minor league numbers I can see how you would make the comparision but Braun's jump to the majors isn't the norm.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 pm

The player comparison that comes up with LaPorta, from what I've heard, is Paul Konerko. He should be a 35 HR threat eventually but an immediate Braun-like impact is still relatively unlikely. Not rare in the least but it doesn't happen that frequently.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:30 pm

im with yoda...no

braun is just to rare of a talent to compare him too

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby hybrid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The player comparison that comes up with LaPorta, from what I've heard, is Paul Konerko. He should be a 35 HR threat eventually but an immediate Braun-like impact is still relatively unlikely. Not rare in the least but it doesn't happen that frequently.

Yea, Braun no way. Also Konerko from a prospect point of view isn't that much better, he may have had a semi disappointing career (even though he has 2 years w/ 40+ hr's) but he was a really great prospect. Yeah I know your mainly talking about power, but just trying to come up with a better comp since I'm anal w/ prospects. :-b Personally he reminds of a slightly poor mans Burrell a lot.
Last edited by hybrid on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:26 am

hybrid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The player comparison that comes up with LaPorta, from what I've heard, is Paul Konerko. He should be a 35 HR threat eventually but an immediate Braun-like impact is still relatively unlikely. Not rare in the least but it doesn't happen that frequently.

Yea, Braun no way. Also Konerko from a prospect point of view was much better, he may have had a semi disappointing career (even though he has 2 years w/ 40+ hr's) but he was a really great prospect. Yeah I know your mainly talking about power, but just trying to come up with a better comp since I'm anal w/ prospects. :-b Personally he reminds of a slightly poor mans Burrell a lot.

Bingo. Everytime I look at his numbers I think Pat Burrell, from the big power, high BB rate, middling average, high K rate, and the below average OF defense. I think he can be better than a "poor man's" Burrell -- I think he can have Burrell like success in the bigs.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:17 am

Scooter1027 wrote:Bingo. Everytime I look at his numbers I think Pat Burrell, from the big power, high BB rate, middling average, high K rate, and the below average OF defense. I think he can be better than a "poor man's" Burrell -- I think he can have Burrell like success in the bigs.

He very well could, Burrell didn't exactly pan out as good as most people expected him to be. I went with "slightly poor mans" Burrell due to Pat still turning out to be a pretty good player and LaPorta's AA stats being well, a slightly poor man's Burrell. So far this year lower average/walks/power at a year older, though he has slumped a bit lately to make the difference even more since being traded.

LaPorta 23 - 354ab - .277/.382/.534 - 48bb/75k
Burrell 22 - 417ab - .333/.438/.631 - 79bb/103k
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cnote23 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Laporta is more like Burrel and not Braun he is a decent powere hitter nothing more.
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafecaster
(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 pm

I love how nowadays Braun is the standard to compare rookies to, as if anyone is going to meet that standard. :-b

LaPorta might become the power hitter that Burrell was supposed to be, or maybe he might be the second coming of Pat Burrell, although Burrell has a really rare batting eye. Hard to duplicate.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers