Arm stress - Shields vs. Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arm stress - Shields vs. Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arm stress - Shields vs. Webb

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Guys, I have been mulling a trade in my long-term keeper where I own Shields and am trying to make a deadline deal for Webb - I am sold on doing the deal, and even though I think they are pretty equal in many ways other than W potential, but my gut is telling me that Webb is on pace for his 5th consecutive season with over 3200 pitches and well over 200 IP, while Shields has only done so once. Am I over-thinking things too much? Obviously, I would still like 3-4 more years of top-notch production out of whichever one I decide to keep. ..

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance, and I WHIR as always ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Arm stress - Shields vs. Webb

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Guys, I have been mulling a trade in my long-term keeper where I own Shields and am trying to make a deadline deal for Webb - I am sold on doing the deal, and even though I think they are pretty equal in many ways other than W potential, but my gut is telling me that Webb is on pace for his 5th consecutive season with over 3200 pitches and well over 200 IP, while Shields has only done so once. Am I over-thinking things too much? Obviously, I would still like 3-4 more years of top-notch production out of whichever one I decide to keep. ..

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance, and I WHIR as always ;-D

Why don't you put this in the right section, n00b! :-)

In redraft leagues, I don't like having starting pitchers that are going on four or five years of consecutive 200+ IP / 3200 pitch seasons, like you said. Since it's a keeper, I'd take Webb and suck it up if he has any problems next season.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 pm

do you know the term WHIR is not allowed in leftovers? :-C

anyone who regularly faces SD, SF, LA is a good bet. plus i don't think he throws violently enough with bad mechanics for all those pitches to be a factor.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:58 am

Agreed. Webb seems to have a rubber arm. He was complaining of a tired arm back in June, but has come back as strong as ever...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:51 am

I'd go with Webb. I think Webb is the superior pitcher and even if you think they are roughly equal just take a look at the divisions they play in.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 am

I don't really think that this is even debatable. Webb is an elite pitcher and his workload is not something I'd be concerned about at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't really think that this is even debatable. Webb is an elite pitcher and his workload is not something I'd be concerned about at this point.

Webb is the better option by quite a bit, with the fact that he gets to feast on NL West line-ups down the stretch serving as icing on the cake (this is not to say that Shields is bad, but simply that Webb is elite with few peers).

However, I would not really worry a ton about the durability of either. The Rays did the smart thing and shut Shields down for the last 4 weeks of 2007 at the first sign of any arm fatigue. Shields has been managed well in terms of arm stress and if I am recalling correctly his stress score on that index that tracks such things (can't remember the name) is pretty low this year as well.

It's a digression, but the way Shields has been handled should make people who have Price in keepers feel good.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 pm

how is this thread not locked yet. :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:41 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.

Oh, and WHIR. B-)
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 582)

Return to Baseball Leftovers