Edinson Vólquez - Long Term - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edinson Vólquez - Long Term

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edinson Vólquez - Long Term

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 pm

After a huge first half he has cooled off significantly since the All-Star break. It's not shocking since everyone was predicting this would happen but I haven't heard many thoughts for next year. With a live fastball, nice change and some decent secondary pitches with his curve and slider he seems to have the tools needed to be successful.

He had a pretty good minor league career with the Rangers but nothing that suggested he would be dominating in the majors.

Where do you guys see him next year and beyond? Is he a top 20 pitcher? Top 10?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edinson Vólquez - Long Term

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm a non-believer but I'm jaded since I watched him stink while he was here in Texas. :-D There will be at least 1 believer in every league next year though, so I'm sure he will be long off the board before I'd even consider him. That makes him really a non-issue for when I do my rankings next year. If I'm wrong and he turns in studly numbers, then more power and congrats to those who believe, but I'm comfortable at the moment knowing I won't wind up with him on any of my teams. B-)

However, I'm one of the ones that missed out on Soriano's 40/40 season because I thought he'd stink in Washington's park, so I'm far from perfect or anything. :-b ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:53 pm

As Mad said, all it takes is one believer for him to be way overrated so I don't like him for 09.

His monthly splits got progressively worse so far and in July, he was marginal at best. As a lot of people predicted early in the season, his BB are starting to really hurt him as his strand rate normalizes.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 am

It should be interesting to see where Volquez will be taken in next season's drafts especially now that his stock has peaked and is declining. It's one thing to take into account that Volquez walks his fair share and tends to get into jams (somehow getting out of them for the most part) but another when the guy typically carries a high FB rate historically, only to all of a sudden, post a high GB rate (which offsets his strand rate). Those could be signs of improvement after all but unless he's fallen to the middle rounds, I probably wouldn't invest a high pick on Volquez.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:36 am

Pretty much a mutual agreement from Mad, Yoda and The Artful Dodger all of whose opinions I respect as much as anyone's here at the Cafe.

This is basically what I was thinking as well. I won't necessarily be avoiding him next year, but I also won't be going out of my way to make sure I get him. Someone's probably going to try and beat the rest of the league to the punch and grab him sooner than he should be going.

He'll be one of the more interesting players to watch next year.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:05 am

The only question I have is, how did you get the "O" in Volquez to look like that? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 am

My only question is how an "N" managed to slip into the middle of his first name. :-?
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am

Sid Bream's Slide wrote:My only question is how an "N" managed to slip into the middle of his first name. :-?

That is how he spells it...I think a lot of people just think he's related to the light bulb guy and assume it's spelled wrong.

...but yeah, I've asked around about the accent over the 'o' a bunch of times and no one ever answers. What's it, some big secret no one wants to share? I NEED TO KNOW!
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am

Inukchuk wrote:...but yeah, I've asked around about the accent over the 'o' a bunch of times and no one ever answers. What's it, some big secret no one wants to share? I NEED TO KNOW!

Copy and paste does the trick if you know where to find one to copy and paste. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am

Madison wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:...but yeah, I've asked around about the accent over the 'o' a bunch of times and no one ever answers. What's it, some big secret no one wants to share? I NEED TO KNOW!

Copy and paste does the trick if you know where to find one to copy and paste. ;-D

Or you can use the WIndows Alt Key Codes ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers