H2H leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H leagues

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:03 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Yoda wrote:Just looking at the September schedules and LA looks really soft.
vs SD
vs ARI
at SD
at COL
at PIT
vs SF
vs SD
at SF

Time to load up on LA pitchers.

This is your first post in this thread. It is all about LA pitchers (and not generally about this strategy in H2H leagues) in which I responded I wouldnt want to own any of the ones currently on the waiver wire (assuming a 12 team standard league - Kershaw, Bills and Lowe are probably owned). And to me (and to others who posted in this thread) it is too far in advance to speculate on these matchups (teams get hot/cold, pitchers could get injured in between now and then...).

Its not that I dont care, I simply wanted to offer an opinion and agree with a couple of others in this thread. I guess I should ask your permission before I post in one of your threads again. Oh, and thanks for taking my post out of context as well. Read it over again and you will notice their is no malicious attack I was aiming towards anyone in particular. Just joining the discussion and trying to engage in a conversation. Who knows, I might be swayed otherwise. Hence the question: Who is out there for LA that might be available? Maybe someone has an insight on Penny. Maybe someone believes Schmidt will be a beast down the stretch.

Look at the title of the post. Very simple and easy to understand. My first post just happened to be about LA pitchers. Good grief. :-°
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RRGL1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm

On a similar note, TB plays 27 games in Sept (more than any other team). That includes 8 games on the last week of the season which is typically the finals in H2H. That's a nice bonus for your Rays batters.
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 am

Scherzer looked good in his Monday's start: 5 IP, 2 ER, 7 K, 1 BB. He should be fully stretched out after next couple of starts.

Morrow was the opposiing pitcher and apparenlty didn't look so good for his 1st start.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 am

A few real teams have thrown in the towel, if you can find SPs facing a string of them (OAK, SEA, CLE, SD etc) you should give yourself a leg up.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby NWSoxaholic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm

FWIW- I've been doing quite a bit of streaming with pitchers playing Washington and it's worked out pretty well in my H2H. I've been lucky enough to end up with a pretty good rotation now, so I don't have to anymore, but it's still a pretty good game plan if I don't feel confident with my matchups.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm

NWSoxaholic wrote:FWIW- I've been doing quite a bit of streaming with pitchers playing Washington and it's worked out pretty well in my H2H. I've been lucky enough to end up with a pretty good rotation now, so I don't have to anymore, but it's still a pretty good game plan if I don't feel confident with my matchups.

ill agree with this but im not picking up kyle kendrick, scott olsen, and anibal sanchez because they play washington in the last week of the season. its impossible to plan that far ahead, but sure, as a deciding factor between two guys, i MAY look at the schedule.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm

RRGL1 wrote:On a similar note, TB plays 27 games in Sept (more than any other team). That includes 8 games on the last week of the season which is typically the finals in H2H. That's a nice bonus for your Rays batters.

Look at how many of those games are on the road, though. I haven't actually checked the stats, but it seems with the ones I've noticed, the Ray's offense is a totally different team on the road than they are at home.

Plus, losing two offensive players, Crawford and Longeria... is that going to affect their offense in the long run?

It has been quite a story, what the Rays have done this season with such a low payroll. It will be interesting to see if they can hold on til the end with their tough schedule.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RRGL1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:21 pm

quitesanemax wrote:Look at how many of those games are on the road, though. I haven't actually checked the stats, but it seems with the ones I've noticed, the Ray's offense is a totally different team on the road than they are at home.

I wouldn't shy away because of more games being on the road in September. Their home/away splits aren't bad this season. As a team their BA, OBP, SLG, & OPS are down on the road, but only one of those is normally a category in H2H. They average 4.6 R/game at home vs 4.5 away. They average 4.4 RBI/game at home vs 4.3 away. Not significant IMO. Their HR/game is actually up away.

quitesanemax wrote:Plus, losing two offensive players, Crawford and Longeria... is that going to affect their offense in the long run?

How they respond is a big question mark. But I still like the idea of owning a player that doesn't have any off days during my fantasy playoff run.
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:58 pm

RRGL1 wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:Look at how many of those games are on the road, though. I haven't actually checked the stats, but it seems with the ones I've noticed, the Ray's offense is a totally different team on the road than they are at home.

I wouldn't shy away because of more games being on the road in September. Their home/away splits aren't bad this season. As a team their BA, OBP, SLG, & OPS are down on the road, but only one of those is normally a category in H2H. They average 4.6 R/game at home vs 4.5 away. They average 4.4 RBI/game at home vs 4.3 away. Not significant IMO. Their HR/game is actually up away.

quitesanemax wrote:Plus, losing two offensive players, Crawford and Longeria... is that going to affect their offense in the long run?

How they respond is a big question mark. But I still like the idea of owning a player that doesn't have any off days during my fantasy playoff run.

Well, if you are a James Shields owner like me, you definitely have to be concerned with home/away splits:

Home: 13 GS, 7-1, 2.21 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .215 BAA
Road: 11 GS, 3-6, 5.74 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .297 BAA

The road numbers are a little inflated due to an awful start at Fenway and then the infamous brawl where he was ejected early, but its been a seesaw battle all year with him. Losing Crawford and Longoria will not help at all.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:01 pm

TB's SEP schedule:
vs NY
at TOR
at BOS
at NY
vs BOS
vs MIN
at BAL
at DET

Pretty rough. I'd be surprised if they win the division at this point.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers