H2H leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H leagues

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:why just H2H leagues? lots of roto teams are still in the thick of things, i've been looking for pitchers with easy schedules these days too and i play roto.


Because according to the title, this is a discussion for H2H leagues and strategies.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: H2H leagues

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:05 pm

good answer yoda. :-/
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: H2H leagues

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Yeah, I think this is too far to plan in advance.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H leagues

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:00 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Yeah, I think this is too far to plan in advance.


How is that? Playoffs start in 3 weeks. Those teams that are far ahead in the standings should be planning for the playoffs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: H2H leagues

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Who is out there for LA though? Penny is too risky. Kershaw is still wild. Kuroda is up and down and gets shelled frequently. Schmidt is a huge question mark. And Lowe is probably owned at this point (Kershaw is probably owned as well considering his last couple of starts). I wouldnt be excited to plug in Penny or Kuroda for that stretch, even though you are going against woeful offenses.

And Snakes is right. What if they face Tim L or Cain? If losses is a category in your league, these LA pitchers do not seem as valuable.

I agree with looking forward and plucking out favorable matchups. But with three weeks till this happens and the current state of LA pitchers, I am staying far away. ;-D
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H leagues

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:50 pm

It wasn't just about LA's schedule (obviously). But just in general H2H strategies that people might find helpful/useful.

Why bother posting if you don't care? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: H2H leagues

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Yoda wrote:Just looking at the September schedules and LA looks really soft.
vs SD
vs ARI
at SD
at COL
at PIT
vs SF
vs SD
at SF

Time to load up on LA pitchers.

Here's to hoping Billingsley continues to dominate down the stretch. The beginning of the season was pretty scary, but he's really rounded into form. Couldn't be happier with his performance at this point ;-D

Also glad I added Kershaw the other day, just wish I had started him against St Louis.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: H2H leagues

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Yoda wrote:Just looking at the September schedules and LA looks really soft.
vs SD
vs ARI
at SD
at COL
at PIT
vs SF
vs SD
at SF

Time to load up on LA pitchers.


This is your first post in this thread. It is all about LA pitchers (and not generally about this strategy in H2H leagues) in which I responded I wouldnt want to own any of the ones currently on the waiver wire (assuming a 12 team standard league - Kershaw, Bills and Lowe are probably owned). And to me (and to others who posted in this thread) it is too far in advance to speculate on these matchups (teams get hot/cold, pitchers could get injured in between now and then...).

Its not that I dont care, I simply wanted to offer an opinion and agree with a couple of others in this thread. I guess I should ask your permission before I post in one of your threads again. Oh, and thanks for taking my post out of context as well. Read it over again and you will notice their is no malicious attack I was aiming towards anyone in particular. Just joining the discussion and trying to engage in a conversation. Who knows, I might be swayed otherwise. Hence the question: Who is out there for LA that might be available? Maybe someone has an insight on Penny. Maybe someone believes Schmidt will be a beast down the stretch.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H leagues

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:12 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Who is out there for LA though? Penny is too risky. Kershaw is still wild. Kuroda is up and down and gets shelled frequently. Schmidt is a huge question mark. And Lowe is probably owned at this point (Kershaw is probably owned as well considering his last couple of starts). I wouldnt be excited to plug in Penny or Kuroda for that stretch, even though you are going against woeful offenses.


You forgot Billingsley. What Yoda is trying to say is trade for Billingsley.

Seriously, I'd strongly advise Billingsley. The rest of the Dodger rotation is kind of an odd bunch. Derek Lowe could be a potentially good option down the stretch but one thing to keep in mind is that his sinker hasn't been that effective and is giving up his fair share of homeruns. Penny and Kuroda are still watch list material in my book but either could make for a potentially good spot start. Kershaw is not quite the biggest wild card but judging off of his last time out, if Kershaw's control improves, he could be upping his pitch count and might go 6-7 innings. Effectiveness won't be assured but the upside alone makes him worth stashing. So, Billingsley is a must-have, Lowe & Kershaw are worth stashing while Penny and Kuroda are worth keeping an eye on. I haven't considered Schmidt personally just because the timetable for a potential return has been iffy in forever and a day now.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: H2H leagues

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Who is out there for LA though? Penny is too risky. Kershaw is still wild. Kuroda is up and down and gets shelled frequently. Schmidt is a huge question mark. And Lowe is probably owned at this point (Kershaw is probably owned as well considering his last couple of starts). I wouldnt be excited to plug in Penny or Kuroda for that stretch, even though you are going against woeful offenses.


You forgot Billingsley. What Yoda is trying to say is trade for Billingsley.

Seriously, I'd strongly advise Billingsley. The rest of the Dodger rotation is kind of an odd bunch. Derek Lowe could be a potentially good option down the stretch but one thing to keep in mind is that his sinker hasn't been that effective and is giving up his fair share of homeruns. Penny and Kuroda are still watch list material in my book but either could make for a potentially good spot start. Kershaw is not quite the biggest wild card but judging off of his last time out, if Kershaw's control improves, he could be upping his pitch count and might go 6-7 innings. Effectiveness won't be assured but the upside alone makes him worth stashing. So, Billingsley is a must-have, Lowe & Kershaw are worth stashing while Penny and Kuroda are worth keeping an eye on. I haven't considered Schmidt personally just because the timetable for a potential return has been iffy in forever and a day now.


You are right, forgot Bills. Thanks for the in-depth analysis though on their rotation (especially Lowe and the sinker). It is always a plus to get some feedback from a fan who watches them frequently. ;-D
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact