Dramatic weight loss question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dramatic weight loss question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dramatic weight loss question

Postby Small Ball » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:16 pm

I'm in New York, so the press has been all over Giambi and his reported 15 to 20 pound weight loss since last season. I also remember reading that Vernon Wells and Eric Hinske of the Blue Jays have dropped 20 pounds as well. The Blue Jays claim it's some new teamwide workout, but the timing seems pretty strange. Also, Jeff Bagwell is reportedly much smaller too. To me, it would really change my rankings and who I would pick. Have any of you heard of any other similar weight losses?
Small Ball

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:35 pm

Slim fast.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PirateFan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:48 pm

Im in Tampa and have seen both in person and in the local newspapers pictures of Giambi, 20 pounds would be a conservative estimate of his weight loss, i hate to say it but he stopped the roids and is shrinking! no joke
PirateFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Yeah

Postby Small Ball » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:52 pm

I heard his head shrunk too. It's going to be real interesting to watch this year to see who's gotten small. I've been convinced Bret Boone was one something for a few years now, any word on what he looks like?
Small Ball

Postby jonnyblack » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:52 pm

This issue is the great enigma this off-season. I don't know that it should change your rankings a whole lot, simply because we just don't know what affect it will have on the numbers. Giambi might have been on steroids, Derek Lee may have not. Would you draft Lee before Giambi? prolly not, so I don't see the steroid thing really changing my rankings.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Wow

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:34 pm

Just got my Sports Illustrated and the reports of Giambi losing weight have not been exaggerated. They have a before and after picture and he looks about 50 pounds lighter. No joke. Bagwell is also shown a lot lighter than the year before. Really unbelievable and it makes me hesitate on Giambi, I won't touch him till the 5th round. It's just too risky. I mean we're talking about what amounts to an entirely different body.

Postby WharfRat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:06 pm

Man, I just gotta say that's a really interesting story. I had no idea about any of this, but if it's not a sudden lack of Juice I don't know what it is.

Oh yeah, and I still think you rank 'em high. My main concern with Giambi would still be that knee of his, it wrecked him last year. Anybody know what steroids do to someone's capacity to heal?
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:10 pm

Steroids are often prescribed for their healing properties.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby WharfRat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:13 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:Steroids are often prescribed for their healing properties.

Hmm...so if he WAS juicing last year...and his knee couldn't get right....uh oh
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:32 pm

I don't see what the big head---steroid relation is.

I mean what the hell? Does your skull magically gain a few more ounces of bone from some unknown source? If somebody could link to an article that truely proves this, I wouldn't mind it. After all, steroids are secretions by the glands in your body that are hormones and control what certain cells do. In example, muscle cells grow and such. However, we must also remember that cholesterols are also a steroid.

So how does your head grow if you take steroids? Will somebody please explain this to me?
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers