Wanna laugh? Check out the worst projections I've ever seen! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wanna laugh? Check out the worst projections I've ever seen!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wanna laugh? Check out the worst projections I've ever seen!

Postby mkooljr1 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:03 pm

I just found the most hysterical projections i've seen in my entire life. Check out the projections (i think they are the bold numbers below the player's comments) and really pay attention, coz there are some HILARIOUS ones every so often. And also read the comments, sometimes they just make stuff up and give untrue info. Check it out http://www.fsru.com/playerranking.htm
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 pm

They're not quite hysterical, but I find the OF rankings pretty messed up.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mkooljr1 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:24 pm

The rankings themselves aren't funny, but check the projections!! Look at Pujols, Johnny Estrada, Furcal. Make sure to look at each stat to see what I'm referring to.
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fumbler » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:25 pm

I've seen alot worse...I don't agree much with the starting pitcher rankings too much. I wouldn't take Mulder over Schilling, Halladay, or Schmidt like they had, but it's still alot better than most rankings i've seen, especially Yahoo's.

That said, you can easily tell these ranking were done a long time ago. They still have A. Boone and K. Sasaki (with Guardado listed as a set-up man) listed in the rankings.

I did notice some big boo-boo's though too. They had A. Rhodes listed as a set-up man for the Braves?!? 8-o
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkooljr1 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Oh yeah, and check Smoltz too...HELLO people. I said look at the PROJECTIONS. Didn't you read my post?? The rankings aren't the funny part, it's the projections! Check out the projections for everyone, and pay specific attention to Pujols, Johnny Estrada, Furcal, and Smoltz.

Edit: And check Mulder too!! Oh yeah, and Prior and Pedro's win totals!!
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fumbler » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:34 pm

I don't see anything particulary wrong with Pujol's projections.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he can put up those kind of numbers. I'd expect Pujols to get better and better still. He's still learning and improving...i certainly don't think he's tapped his full potential yet. It's kinda scary when you think about it.

He did flirt with a .400 average alot last season...

But, yeah, it looks pretty much like they just looked at last year's numbers and upped them all...
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Why are these funny?

Pujols projections are very attainable
375, 140 runs, 48 HR, 140 RBI, 2 SB

Furcal's runs maybe a little too high but the rest is fine
300, 140 runs, 12 HR, 75 RBI, 30 SB

Estrada getting to there numbers is a stretch
.320, 70 runs, 15 HR, 75 RBI, 5 SB

Pedro and Prior with 25 wins is possible but 2 pitchers getting there seems unlikely.

Mulder's Predictions
22-9, 2.40 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 180 K’s

Smoltz numbers are extemley good but all he has to do is stay healthy and only slightly improve to reach them.
1-3, 0.80 ERA, 0.60 WHIP, 100 K’s, 60 saves

Many were inflated a little but all are attainable. While I don't see all of these happening, I can see each of them getting there. I think Pujols' Predictions will be most accurate. At least they didn't pick Mesa to have 60 Saves or Maroth to get 25 Wins. NOW THAT WOULD BE FUNNY.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby davus » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:16 pm

I agree. These projections are BS. They are projecting everyone in the MLB to have career years at the same time. How are all these pitchers AND all these batters gonna have career years simultaneously?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:40 pm

For those records (Pedro and Prior) to happen they would need a decision in every game they pitch. They have proven to be some what fragile and them pitching more than 33 starts prob. wont happen. If they win 25 they are not going to lose any.

And I don't really see to much of a problem with Pujols numbers. Definately attainable if he keeps improving. The 1B number that I thought was a little high was Texiera, 40 homers? I don't think so. Not yet anyway.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:05 pm

How much stock can you really put into rankings/projections that haven't been updated since Aaron Boone's injury?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers