Fallout 3 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Fallout 3

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fallout 3

Postby bleach168 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Yoda wrote:I am at the GNR station and my first encounter with the Behemoth. Good lord. He looked right at me and handed my ass to me with one blow.

I did the mart quest to steal the meat but high tailed out of there. Should I kill those raiders? I do have some decent gear now (level 3) but still missing with VATS. I love that you can aim for certain body parts but is it worth aiming for anything else but the head?

Yeah, those raiders will likely have a hunting rifle and possible even a combat shotgun. There is lots of ammo if you look around. Also, you will find a laser pistol too though I think laser pistols stink.

Hope you didn't miss the Fat Man on the dead BoS guy outside the GNR station.

edit: Oh! And there is an easy way to get the Chinese Assault Rifle in Megaton. It's the main weapon I used until level 11.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am at the GNR station and my first encounter with the Behemoth. Good lord. He looked right at me and handed my ass to me with one blow.

I did the mart quest to steal the meat but high tailed out of there. Should I kill those raiders? I do have some decent gear now (level 3) but still missing with VATS. I love that you can aim for certain body parts but is it worth aiming for anything else but the head?

Yeah, those raiders will likely have a hunting rifle and possible even a combat shotgun. There is lots of ammo if you look around. Also, you will find a laser pistol too though I think laser pistols stink.

Hope you didn't miss the Fat Man on the dead BoS guy outside the GNR station.

edit: Oh! And there is an easy way to get the Chinese Assault Rifle in Megaton. It's the main weapon I used until level 11.

Thanks.

I think I was supposed to save the fat man when the Behemoth clobbered me.

I killed the sheriff in Megaton and broke into the armory so I got a bunch of weapons from there. I don't have a ton of ammo for the rifle so I am preserving it for the most part. I will need to go back to the mart at some point to pick up some goodies.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby zepfan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:15 am

The hunting rifle doesn't look like much so it was awhile before I even started using it but it's actually really powerful and good on ammo. After a while I even decided I may as well leave my assault rifle at home since I was barely using it. I've got quite a few caps and haven't been spending much so if ever you see someone selling bullets you need it's definitely a good investment.

I used to always use the VATS for shooting at people's heads but there are definite uses for shooting at other parts. If you run into animals like the deathclaw or the Mao Guo (sp) thing you're probably better off taking out a leg or two first. They move really fast, hit hard and take a beating before they go down so you probably wont have enough VATS to kill them before they get to you. Take out the legs and you can backpedal, reload (drop mines) and wait for VATS to recharge while they limp towards you.

Also, if you're out in the open and the bad guy is using a rocket launcher or some other BFG I usually go for the weapon first then run up to them and use the shotgun on their heads while they scramble to find another weapon. And if you hit VATS and notice the guy is holding a grenade, shoot it. :-D

I also tried to avoid the spoilers but also broke down and checked the bobblehead locations. :-b

Unfortunately, I'm starting to see the glitches that are in the game too. I had the water plant NPC die on me (I'm guessing from radiation since I found him lying peacefully next to the bomb in Megaton) so now I can't sell scrap metal anymore. Also, I had a huge quest chain glitch on me at Jefferson Memorial. I did a bunch of quests only to have some people not follow me when they were supposed to. I probably spent more than an hour loading and re-loading and trying different things before I went to the boards to find out that a lot of the quests for that chain are broken and often can't be fixed. :-C

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:00 am

That makes sense with VATS. I am still only fighting weaker enemies (except for the Behemoth) so I like to kill them by going into VATS real quick. When I encounter larger and stronger enemies I will probably need to use different tactics. It's really intuitive and makes you think about how to battle different enemies.

I did hear about NPCs dying. That sucks. I am saving as much as I can so that if something happens, I can just reload.

As far as skills go, what do you guys try to stack up on? I'm starting to think sneak, lockpick and small guns. Only because I don't like to get my hands dirty up close, I want to be able to sneak up on enemies and kill them off with one shot. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:07 pm

would this make a good rpg game for beginners? the only rpg game i've played is mario rpg long time ago.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:38 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:would this make a good rpg game for beginners? the only rpg game i've played is mario rpg long time ago.

The subject matter is very mature, but the game itself is fairly intuitive and is appropriate for beginners.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:16 am

This game rocks. Nothing better than sneaking up on a raider and blowing out his brain. ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Never been big on RPG's, is this game more action or more RPG? I'm considering picking it up
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Never been big on RPG's, is this game more action or more RPG? I'm considering picking it up

Rent it first if you don't know if you will like it. Have you played Oblivion? Fallout 3 is very similar.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Yoda wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Never been big on RPG's, is this game more action or more RPG? I'm considering picking it up

Rent it first if you don't know if you will like it. Have you played Oblivion? Fallout 3 is very similar.

I haven't, unfortunately.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games