Fallout 3 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Fallout 3

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fallout 3

Postby bleach168 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am

jfg wrote:This game is pretty sweet- I like Oblivion more, but I can see myself really getting into this one. I'm really glad that they have the fast travel system like Oblivion.

POSSIBLE VERY EARLY IN THE GAME SPOILERS:

I don't play FPS very often though and I'm getting killed a ton. Should it take 6 shots to the head to kill a vicious dog? Should I be staying in Megaton right now and wait to do the side quests? I'm not sure what I think about the targeting system, so far it doesn't seem that effective. I don't know who else has played this game but did you guys kill the overseer? I did thinking I was doing a good deed but I kind of regret it, and I'm wondering what it's going to mean later in the game.

I tried not to kill him, so I beat him with a baseball bat, but he still died. Weak.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 pm

I know! It was so easy to kill him! I'm at level 5 now that I learned how to play. One thing I recommend is to save often because you never know when a behemoth mutant will stomp you before you can send a mini nuke into his gut... you don't get autosaved very often so you have to do a lot of things over if you die. But, you're probably a better gamer than me.

Anybody who isn't playing this game needs to get it!
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Ha! I did save quite often at first, like every 10-15 min. Then I realized I never die, so I slowed it down a bit. Later on, I walk into the WRONG door and WHAM start getting pwned. I ran out and died to stuff outside. Problem was, it triggered the autosave so I had to reload from my last manual save. Cost me about an hour.

Now I save every 10-15 min again.

Like jfg, I am really enjoying this game.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:46 pm

I might buy this today, the videos on the first page were quite impressive. I'm supposed to get an HDTV for x-mas so that'll make it cooler.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby zepfan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm

After changing my mind a whole bunch of times I ended up getting this game last week. A couple things I've found out so far:

I haven't fully read the intructions yet ( :-b ) but from what I understand the levels cap at level 20 so don't waste points on PERKS like Quick Learner (+10% XP per rank) or the one that skips you to the next level. If you're doing a lot of side quests, you'll probably hit your level cap well before you finish the game so PERKS that help advance levels could be better spent on increasing stats instead.

Also, I've found that a good way to kill people is to stay in the shadows in sneak mode. If you see a bad guy patrolling the area but he is walking out of the area give him a couple shots to the head with a silenced gun. Chances are he'll run back towards your area but won't be able to see you as long as your in the shade. It's fun to watch him run around like an idiot checking where the shot came from only to walk right up to you without seeing you. At that point, a single shot from the hunter rifle or shotgun should be enough to remove his head. ;-D

It looks like they sacrificed a lot of the depth compared to Oblivion but I'm guessing something had to give in order to make the new fighting scheme. Still, it's a pretty awesome game so far.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 pm

The level cap is a good thing. In Oblivion, you could eventually have max stats in everything. In Fallout 3, the cap means you can only max out at most half your skills. I've already spent more time thinking about my character build in Fallout than I did in Oblivion. But, yes, Swift Learner is a pretty bad pick since you level really fast in this game anyways.

I'm still only level 8 (my friend accidentally saved his game over mine first character) but it seems pretty easy so far. Commando pwns.

I do have an irrational dislike for fighting ghouls. :-P
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 pm

All this would have been nice to know a week ago when I chose swift learner. :-B

I'm not having as easy of a time since I don't play games much but I'm not completely lost and hopeless which is when I quit playing games. It earns the noob seal of approval!
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:03 pm

I just picked this up yesterday. Wow. It is awesome but there are way too many things to do and I still only have a couple of stupid pistols. It takes forever to kill things. :-/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Do Moira's Super Duper mart quest to get some decent gear when you start out.

I'm still only level 11 and I can't really give a lot of help but pretty much everything you need can be found on the internet anyways. Though I highly recommend you avoid spoilers as the game has some really incredible moments.

(I did break down and printed out the locations of all the bobbleheads.) :-D
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:47 pm

I am at the GNR station and my first encounter with the Behemoth. Good lord. He looked right at me and handed my ass to me with one blow.

I did the mart quest to steal the meat but high tailed out of there. Should I kill those raiders? I do have some decent gear now (level 3) but still missing with VATS. I love that you can aim for certain body parts but is it worth aiming for anything else but the head?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games