Ortiz's wrist... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ortiz's wrist...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz's wrist...

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 am

Something to keep an eye on... I watched the game and didn't notice anything, hopefully everything's okay. :-o

Tue, Aug 5 Tony Massarotti, of The Boston Herald, reports Boston Red Sox DH David Ortiz (wrist) sufficiently tweaked his ailing left wrist in the ninth inning of a 4-3 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Monday, Aug. 4. Ortiz grounded out against Kansas City Royals CL Joakim Soria with a pair of men on base at Kauffman Stadium. Ortiz revealed after the game he felt a click in his left wrist early in the at-bat against Soria. "My last at-bat, it kind of pulled back a little bit," Ortiz said. "You feel that click and you get a little concerned about it."
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ortiz's wrist...

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 am

Yeah, I think it was expected that he'd feel some discomfort and even some clicks from time to time so i'm not too surprised to have heard about this, and he didn't leave the at bat (he felt it in the middle of it)... we'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised if he took tonight off, but again, the "good news" if there is any, is that the pain wasn't bad enough to remove him from the at bat.

One another note, the guy who wrote about it originally, Tony Massaroti or whatever, he tends to be quite a sensationalist, I still remeber how doom and gloom he was about ortiz's initial injury, basically saying surgery was a certainy and ortiz would be done for the year. If you read the original article, it's really quite speculative about the extent of the injury.
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 am

Here we go again with the wrist thing... I feel bad for Papi, but man has his season been a letdown in terms of fantasy production. :-[
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am

yeah, ortiz has basically had one great month... the rest has been forgettable, he seemed to be back in business when he came back the first week, now not so much... I just hope it's not his health... the worst at this point is that he's shown a propensity to worry a lot, maybe this wrist thing is having more of a mental detrimental effect rather than being a physical problem. For selfish reasons I want Ortiz to play through the pain and produce, but maybe that's not possible... ok i'm speculating again, lets see what happens!
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zhutou » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 pm

with his wrist all messed up and manny gone, it looks like a downer of a season for papi.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:18 pm

zhutou wrote:with his wrist all messed up and manny gone, it looks like a downer of a season for papi.

looks like? it already is... regardless of what he does the rest of the way, he's been a big let down this year, if he continues to struggle this year or, god help me, goes back on the dl for good... where in the heck is he drafted next year? I drafted him in the second round this year and thought I had a bargain, i have NO idea where i'd draft him next year... too many mental and physical issues right now with him, lost his 1b eligibility, another year older... I love the man but I don't think i'll ever have him on my team again (though i'll still root for him as a sox fan. ;-D )
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah, this has definitely been a tough season for Papi. I drafted him with the 2nd pick of the 2nd round and was psyched to get him there, not only as a fan, but also because I was hoping for .300/35/100/120. Numbers, which, I thought were a lock. I've tried to trade him and another piece for a 1B upgrade for a couple weeks now but even the other Sox fans in my league (most of which will overpay for Sox players) have been iffy on him for the remainder of the season. He's not hitting all that well right now and with the loss of Manny, I worry that the rest of this season could be tough for him.

As for next year, I think he is likely to slip to the lower half of the 2nd round. Of course, the next 50 games will determine that for the most part, but after his injury, the loss of Manny and the fact that he will be a year older tells me he's no longer the 2nd pick of the 2nd round.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby shappy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:23 pm

this is the biggest joke of a non-story I have seen. When you break your wrist or have surgey it clicks. The cartiledge moves around with the tendons, also scar tissue breaks. I broke my wrist two years ago and was in a cast for 10 weeks, to this day it still clicks.

I have bad luck when it comes to signatures that the person either gets traded or hurt...in this case I hope he gets traded.
shappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:50 pm

I hope you're right... I can't handle the freakin red sox blogs, everyone's up in arms, calling for barry bonds as the replacement DH... ortiz didn't even report the "click" to the trainers or his coaches... I hope he's in the line up tonight so I don't have to read all of the brouhaha coming out
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm

According to Nick Carafado (Boston Globe), Ortiz is in the line up for tonight in the three hole... barring a late scratch of course ;-D
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates