Rooting in Fantasy Baseball Gets Weird. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rooting in Fantasy Baseball Gets Weird.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rooting in Fantasy Baseball Gets Weird.

Postby TomBrooklyn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:33 am

Rooting in Fantasy gets weird, because sometimes you own the pitcher and the batter, and a host of other scenarios.

For instance, I find myself rooting for such things as I hope a player reaches, but on an era so my pitcher is not charged, and then I'd rather he doesn't score right away--I'd like him to steal a base first--then score.

Or, I want someone to hit a home run, but I want them to take my pitcher out first.

Or, I want some team to score--but not enough to take a lead--just enough for my reliever to have a save opportunity.

It gets pretty convoluted, eh?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rooting in Fantasy Baseball Gets Weird.

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 am

Or one of your fantasy players is playing against your favorite team. You hope that he will do alright, but not do enough to beat your team.

Or you own a player in one league, but in another H2H league your opponent owns that player. This happened with Buchholz tonight for me.

Or you secretly hope that anyone you have traded underperforms so you can justify your trade.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby King Tim » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Not really rooting but....

I owned Torii Hunter a few years during his prime. I loved it when he would rob one of my other players of a HR or extra base hit.

How about rooting for a starting pitcher and watching him get bombed, but then owning the closer on the other team and hoping for no more than a 3 run lead heading into the 9th.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:33 pm

kab21 wrote:Or one of your fantasy players is playing against your favorite team. You hope that he will do alright, but not do enough to beat your team.

That kept me out of fantasy baseball for years. I could not root against my Yankees. Then someone explained NL only leagues. Now I only have that problem occasionally during interleague play.

I know hardcare fantasy players don't have this issue. But for me it was a show stopper.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:55 pm

When my pitcher pitches against the Tigers or the Rays (of which I have 2 hitters each) I hope the defense makes an error to start the inning then the offense goes to town. }:-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm

My fandom for the Tampa Bay Rays and my hatred for the Yanks, Mets, and Sox does not get in the way of fantasy baseball. I will still root against the Yanks, Mets, and Sox players even if they are on my fantasy team, just like I still root for the Rays even if my fantasy pitcher is pitching against them that night.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 pm

When a pitcher is pitching against my Cubs, I hope he loses 1-0. B-) A scoreless 7 and a late inning comeback by the Cubs is even better.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:My fandom for the Tampa Bay Rays and my hatred for the Yanks, Mets, and Sox does not get in the way of fantasy baseball. I will still root against the Yanks, Mets, and Sox players even if they are on my fantasy team, just like I still root for the Rays even if my fantasy pitcher is pitching against them that night.

Opposite for me. I went gaga over Utley's HR against the Cards on Sunday, because that HR - for the time being - put me up in my weekly league. Of course, Lidge was also playing for my opp, so I ended up rooting for him to blow it for both the obvious reason (Cards win) and the personal reason (FBB win). However, it turned out that the Utley HR was all the diff in the 5-4 game.

How do I feel now? I'm still only mad that Stavinoha had such a terrible AB. Otherwise, I could have eaten my cake and still have had it. My wife says I'm a bad Cardinals fan, but dang it all... I don't play for them. I have no say on that outcome.

O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:55 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:My fandom for the Tampa Bay Rays and my hatred for the Yanks, Mets, and Sox does not get in the way of fantasy baseball. I will still root against the Yanks, Mets, and Sox players even if they are on my fantasy team, just like I still root for the Rays even if my fantasy pitcher is pitching against them that night.

That's how I look at it too.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

How about when the bases are loaded for your hitter - but your opponent's hitter is on first...

Naturally in this situation I want my hitter to hit a grandslam and have the runner on first to be called out for passing the runner on second.

I don't think that's weird.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers