Outside Opinions Wanted - Championship OTL - WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Outside Opinions Wanted - Championship OTL - WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Outside Opinions Wanted - Championship OTL - WHIR!

Postby Swipe79 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 pm

I am currently locked into a three way race for first in my 5X5 Roto League. As of this AM - one point is all that seperates the top three in my league. We have 12 teams in the league - and everyone participates in the league, so FA pick ups are minimal. Every player is a starter;

C - Ryan Doumit, Kelly Shoppach
1B - Ryan Howard, Mike Jacobs
2B - Robinson Cano, Jose Lopez
SS - Derek Jeter, Michael Young
3B - Kevin Kouzmanoff, Bill Hall
OF - Carl Crawford, Carlos Gomez, Hunter Pence, Curtis Granderson, Shane Victorino
P - Roy Halladay, AJ Burnett, Joba Chamberlain, Johnny Cueto, Justin Duchscherer, Joe Saunders, Roy Oswalt, Huston Street, Troy Percival, Billy Wagner.

DL - Aaron Harang, Hideki Matsui, Pedro Feliz

I made two trades around the turn;

Ian Kinsler for Carl Crawford, Robinson Cano, Shaun Marcum, Shane Victorino

Manny Ramirez, Shaun Marcum, Takashi Saito for Hunter Pence, Roy Oswalt, Billy Wagner

We can keep up to 10 players each year. I would appreciate any opinions on what I have and anything that you see as an obvious way to maybe shore up the team.

My current rankings for each category;
BA - 4th
HR - 9th
RBI - 5th
SB - 5th
R - 1st
W - 3rd
Sv - 6th
ERA - 3rd
WHIP - 1st
K - 3rd
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Outside Opinions Wanted - Championship OTL - WHIR!

Postby stevethumb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 pm

where are your competitors in the cats ? a key late strategy is not only shoring up the cats that you can gain points in but also trading a key player to a lesser team that could pass one of the top teams in a certain cat thereby costing them valuable pts
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Swipe79 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Currently Team A has 87 points, Team B and I are tied at 86 points. It seems to be a daily rotation as to who is in first, second, third.

Current rankings
BA - 4th (A - 9th) (B - 11th)
HR - 9th (A - 3rd) (B - 2nd)
RBI - 5th (A - 8th) (B - 2nd)
SB - 5th (A - 3rd) (B - 1st)
R - 1st (A - 2nd) (B - 4th)
W - 3rd (A - T 1st) (B - T 2nd)
S - 6th (A - 3rd) (B - 5th)
ERA - 3rd (A - 4th) (B - 6th)
WHIP - 1st (A - 2nd) (B - 6th)
K - 3rd (A - 4th) (B - 2nd)

Wins is a category where two teams have 72, three teams have 71, and I have 70 (71 after Halladay is done today). Pitching seems to be the place where there is potential to catch up some points on my competition. I just traded for Wagner and now it looks like we have a problem there - I am 2 saves behind the next team who happens to be one of these guys.

I do expect my BA to go up as we move through the second half.

One player I am thinking of replacing is Cueto...
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:10 pm

the removal of cueto from your roster is a good example of addition by subtraction..your whip and era could improve dramatically especially if you replace him w/a solid MR like hckuo
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm

That's a pretty large roster. List some FA options for pitching and in particular, 3B. It's hard to believe Kouzmanoff and Bill Hall are the best options there. I would also try and sell high on Saunders, Duchscherer, and Joba (now that he's injured). Either moving them for 3B options or selling their inflated numbers for reliable starters with less than stellar stats this season decreases risk on your part. I can see half your pitching staff fall apart down the stretch, and that's certainly not the position you want to be in. Wagner on the DL hurts, Street splitting save ops hurts, and Perc's old age causes some concern. I would be constantly monitoring the closing situations for the NYM, Texas Rangers, and Detroit Tigers and swoop upon declared closers or solid set-up men in position to receive the majority of SVO.

And yes, Cueto is very droppable.

Help on mine? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=359857
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Swipe79 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:30 pm

I have had Kouz the entire season, I think he was a 23/24 rounder for me. My second spot has had a rotating hot hand policy - Hall, Feliz (on my DL), Mora, Blake, etc.

12 team league - there are 24 (12 X 2) 3B on rosters, so pickings are slim.

FA Third Baseman - Russ Branyan, Jose Bautista, Rich Aurilia, Ramon Vazquez, Scott Rolen, Jack Hannahan, Maicer Izturis, Jose Castillo

FA Pitchers - Ian Snell, Carlos Marmol, Doug Davis, Scott Olsen, Paul Byrd, Braden Looper, Tim Wakefield, Hong Chi Kuo, Brandon Backe

Like you said, it is a large roster, and there are 12 teams, so replacing a player is sometimes difficult. It is also a very active league with even the guy in dead last and out of it continuing to deal and or make moves.

I was trying to get Mariano Rivera, but don't know if it is a possibility. I offered Street (prior to the shared closing duties) and Carlos Gomez for him. That team is in second to last.
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Those 3B options look pretty bad indeed. I would try and still move one of your overachieving SP's (Duchscherer first off, then Saunders) and target a first-rate 3B. If you need to package either Hall or Kouzmanoff to do it, do so. Mcab's a good target, so is aramis. If there are no buyers there, try and go for Cantu/Huff like 3B. You could temporarily fill the hole in your SP with Kuo I suppose until Harang gets back, and then just dump Kuo. Look out for saves, don't trade for them. (unless that closer's job is 100% his and there aren't any health issues circling him. even then, never give up too much for closers).
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevethumb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 pm

marmol and kuo appear to be 2 quality p/ups
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Swipe79 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I'll be able to report good news in a while. Wagner just went on the DL, so I will likely try and get Heilman?
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Postby APAP » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Instead of Heilman and Cueto, what about Jose Arredondo and Grant Balfour for your ERA and they should help with Ks. Either available?
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team