Guardado saving? Stay tuned... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Guardado saving? Stay tuned...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guardado saving? Stay tuned...

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Per CBS:

Eddie Guardado, RP TEX
News: According to The Sports Xchange notes: Rangers manager Ron Washington said he was just keeping the promise he made in spring training, but, at least to the casual observer, the club sure looked like one that might be transitioning to a new closer Sunday night. With the Rangers holding a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth, it was Eddie Guardado, not closer C.J. Wilson, who warmed up. The Rangers scored three more runs in the inning, thus neutralizing the save opportunity, but Guardado pitched ninth anyway. "I told you guys at the beginning of the year that there will be times when I go to Eddie, and I wanted to go to Eddie (Sunday)," Washington said after the 8-4 win Sunday. "That's not C.J. falling out of favor or losing his job, it's nothing like that."

Analysis: Washington did indeed say that at the start of the year, but the only time Wilson hasn't gotten the save opportunity this season is when he was unavailable (which happened once in May when he had thrown 75 pitches in a span of four days) or when the Rangers needed a reliever to get ready in a hurry (as happened when Warner Madrigal loaded the bases with a five-run lead on July 11). Guardado got the save in the July 11 game; he was called on in the middle of the inning because it takes him less time to get ready than Wilson. Wilson, who has compiled a 6.17 ERA since June 1 and has a 5.28 ERA for the season, had not pitched Saturday and threw only 13 pitches while allowing Seattle to score twice to break a ninth-inning tie July 30. "I just felt it. I felt Eddie was the right man," Washington said of his decision to go with Guardado. "That's all it was." Track this news in the coming days and consider Guardado a sleeper to close down the stretch for the Rangers.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Guardado saving? Stay tuned...

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:46 pm

son of a gun, I have Guardado on my team to handcuff Wilson... little did I know Eddie would get the win tonight while on my bench!!!! I just hope this doesn't become a committee situation, those are the worst.
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DSheppard » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 pm

no, the rangers said they are resting CJ wilson for several days and working with him trying to get him right but that he is still the closer.

a switch has to be extremely close though. its just kep going on like this. i dont know whats up with CJ, hes not this pitcher.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby felixthecat011 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am

felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby wildbill » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 am

DSheppard wrote:no, the rangers said they are resting CJ wilson for several days and working with him trying to get him right but that he is still the closer.

a switch has to be extremely close though. its just kep going on like this. i dont know whats up with CJ, hes not this pitcher.

The Rangers are not going to make the postseason, ie they are not in a playoff race. A change would make sense if they were, but at this point a change would be pointless and with no meaningful purpose. I suppose it could happen, but really I don't see the point.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby felixthecat011 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 am

The only real reason I see to make a switch would be to give Wilson some time to get his stuff in order and possibly see how Guardado performs in the role in order to better gauge if they should bring him back next year or not.
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:29 am

wildbill wrote:
DSheppard wrote:no, the rangers said they are resting CJ wilson for several days and working with him trying to get him right but that he is still the closer.

The Rangers are not going to make the postseason, ie they are not in a playoff race. A change would make sense if they were, but at this point a change would be pointless and with no meaningful purpose. I suppose it could happen, but really I don't see the point.

Not saying they'll make it or anything, but the Rangers are only 5 games back from the AL Wild card... they have a legitimate shot just as anyone to get lucky down the stretch and make a playoff berth. If you told me the Rockies were going to the World Series last year at this time of the season, I would've laughed in your face, but we saw how that came out.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby champy41 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 am

CJ Wilson is headed to LA to have surgery to remove bone spurs on his left elbow!!!!!

PICKUP EDDIE ASAP!!!
champy41
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:15 am

champy41 wrote:CJ Wilson is headed to LA to have surgery to remove bone spurs on his left elbow!!!!!

PICKUP EDDIE ASAP!!!

Source? Was this announced by local sports media? It hasn't hit national media yet. BTW why did they let him pitch tonight if he's headed for surgery? Whether it's true or not picking up Eddie is still a good idea.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby champy41 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am

C.J. to DL; Guardado new closer

Rangers closer C.J. Wilson announced after the game, an 8-6 Rangers win, that he is heading to the disabled list with bone spurs in his left elbow. He will head to Los Angeles to see Dr. Lewis Yocum for a second opinion. He said he could miss the rest of the season. "I've been trying to pitch through it, obviously not very effective," Wilson said. "I can't do the team too much good unless I get healthy." Manager Ron Washington said he will not go with a bullpen by committee, with Eddie Guardado getting the bulk of the work. Jamey Wright and Frank Francisco could also see save opportunties.. "I've got Eddie, Frankie and Jamey," Washington said. "Right now Eddie will do it. When he needs time off, I got other guys I can go to."

-- Jeff Wilson

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/foul_territory/
champy41
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates