Wow, Detroit's pen sucks, who next for saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wow, Detroit's pen sucks, who next for saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wow, Detroit's pen sucks, who next for saves?

Postby harold_bush » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Rodney has been an ABSOLUTE disaster, thankfully a disaster I've had on the bench. In 4 2/3 innings as the appointed closer, he has allowed 4 hits, 8 walks, and 5 runs. 8 walks in less than 5 innings! Closers simply can't walk guys like that. Up next most say Farnnworth, well he was AWFUL today too, allowing 3 runs (2 HRs) in an inning. Zumaya is hurt, who the hell closes?
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Wow, Detroit's pen sucks, who next for saves?

Postby wildbill » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:18 pm

harold_bush wrote:Rodney has been an ABSOLUTE disaster, thankfully a disaster I've had on the bench. In 4 2/3 innings as the appointed closer, he has allowed 4 hits, 8 walks, and 5 runs. 8 walks in less than 5 innings! Closers simply can't walk guys like that. Up next most say Farnnworth, well he was AWFUL today too, allowing 3 runs (2 HRs) in an inning. Zumaya is hurt, who the hell closes?

I'm guessing the only reason Leyland made the switch was he knew Jones was hurt before he gave Rodney the job. I say that because it wasn't long afterward that Jones hit the DL. I think there's a good chance Jones gets it back whenever he comes off the DL unless someone really steps up. I the mean time it could end up becoming a committee with results like today.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ceLpH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm

I remember when they had what was considered one of the stronger bullpens... Zumaya & Rodney went downhill huge though, Im assuming that Farnsworth will close for now even though he contributed to the Loss today, Rodney is just awful
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mile High Ballers » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:43 pm

By most sports writers accounts Iv'e read lately, Closing is one of THE big reasons they acquired Farnsworth. However..... regardless of his past closing experience, I wouldn't want him closing for my team (or my fantasy team) ever..... Seen him get rocked way too many times at Yankee stadium.

Pretty amazing how Detroit's pitching has plummeted in just two years, eh guys. Zumaya and Rodney just two years ago looked like they were just innings ( of experience) away from killing it , and Verlander has fallen back to earth as well. Bummer.... Guess it's variables like these that keep fantasy games interesting though eh... Peace Out!
Mile High Ballers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 am

i think Farnsworth ends up with it...i'd rather have a guy who blows a game by giving up the occasional jack than one who cant even find the plate (2 walks and a hit batter in 1 inning = :-P )
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StringerBell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:07 pm

Is Zumaya really out of the picture? I know he`s got a minor injury now. And, Yeah, his WHP`s been bad since his return. But his ERA and velocity have been good. You got to expect some rust from the long layoff (Rodney is experiencing the same thing--only worse). Zumaya is a determined dude. From a Yankee fan to the Detroit fans: I wouldnt entrust games to Farnsworth.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm

StringerBell wrote:From a Yankee fan to the Detroit fans: I wouldnt entrust games to Farnsworth.

He was pretty terrible playing for the Yanks, but he was lights out for the Braves during that last bit of the regular season in 2005. And he was pretty good when he was with the Tigers earlier that year... guess they are hoping he returns to pre-Yankee form. He can't be any worse than Rodney, can he?
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Dems Bums » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:54 pm

Probably old news by now but...

From Rotowire: Manager Jim Leyland named Zumaya his new closer prior to Tuesday's game against the White Sox, the Detroit News reports. "If we have a lead in the ninth inning, that's who will pitch," Leyland said. It's about time. The Tigers have been grooming Zumaya for the closers role for the past 2 1/2 seasons. He has the stuff to be a dominant closer, but will need to cut down on his walks. Owners in need of saves should act quickly if they want to pick up Zumaya.
Dems Bums
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:11 am

The Tigers PEN IS BEYOND PATHETIC!!!! :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cruecu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 am

They have had some awful luck the past few days. Farnsworth isn't going to give up homeruns every time he hits the mound. I don't believe Rodney and Zumaya are this bad either.
cruecu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates