Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: September call-ups

Postby King Tim » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'd love to see Jhoulys Chacin called up

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10009118
Gustafson said Chacin has thrown 143 1/3 innings and might be kept on restricted innings for the rest of this season. . . . good idea

The kid will fly through the system next year like Morales last year. I can't wait to see him :-)
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:38 pm

King Tim wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I'd love to see Jhoulys Chacin called up

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10009118
Gustafson said Chacin has thrown 143 1/3 innings and might be kept on restricted innings for the rest of this season. . . . good idea

The kid will fly through the system next year like Morales last year. I can't wait to see him :-)

Morales is gonna be back up as well I think. He's starting to get his stuff together
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 pm

celtics464 wrote:ESPN usually adds guys once they have service time. Some guys get added in from the start, no one has any clue why. Price and Mccutchen both are already owned. Gamel and Laporta, Wieters are unavailable but once they play in a game I can pick them up off waivers. I dont really need any of them but it's nice to add extra depth. I'm just wondering who the more informed people believe will get called up. I'm afraid i might waste my waiver priority on someone and see laporta/Wieters get called up afterwards and miss out on them because i was impatient.

In a dynasty league I would save it for Price (likely) or Wieters (unlikely). They are, by far, the highest rated players in the minors right now, and will be the most valuable to you long term. Price could be a top 5 pitcher within a short period of time, and Wieters may well be the top fantasy catcher in short order. As good as LaPorta/Gamel can be, there will still be a dozen guys at 1B/3B/DH who can do what they can do, I don't see the same thing with Price or Wieters.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 pm

What about Adam Miller? I would be amazed if Cleveland didn't give him a handful of starts to see what he has.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:16 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:What about Adam Miller? I would be amazed if Cleveland didn't give him a handful of starts to see what he has.

I believe he just started throwing again and if successful I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a look late especially if they can waiver-trade Paul Byrd as many think they will.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:What about Adam Miller? I would be amazed if Cleveland didn't give him a handful of starts to see what he has.

I believe he just started throwing again and if successful I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a look late especially if they can waiver-trade Paul Byrd as many think they will.

yeah, he should definitly be getting innings instead of Matt Ginter.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fugetaboutit » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:55 am

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Gio Gonzalez is "a strong candidate" to be called up from Triple-A to start Thursday.
It would be the 22-year-old southpaw's major league debut. The A's had been planning on Dan Meyer making the start, but he threw four innings out of the bullpen Monday, leaving Lenny DiNardo as the only other candidate on the roster. Acquired from the White Sox in the Nick Swisher deal, Gonzalez is one of the game's better left-handed pitching prospects and has 128 strikeouts in 123 innings at Triple-A, but his 68 walks make it unlikely that he's ready to thrive in the majors yet.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Fugetaboutit
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Fugetaboutit wrote:The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Gio Gonzalez is "a strong candidate" to be called up from Triple-A to start Thursday.
It would be the 22-year-old southpaw's major league debut. The A's had been planning on Dan Meyer making the start, but he threw four innings out of the bullpen Monday, leaving Lenny DiNardo as the only other candidate on the roster. Acquired from the White Sox in the Nick Swisher deal, Gonzalez is one of the game's better left-handed pitching prospects and has 128 strikeouts in 123 innings at Triple-A, but his 68 walks make it unlikely that he's ready to thrive in the majors yet.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

I really like Gio but I doubt he will contribute this year. He's been so spotty with his control all season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:34 pm

I'd also expect Scherzer to have a pretty significant role as well. Perhaps as a starter or the main set up guy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers