2009 Position Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Position Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Position Sleepers

Postby Old_Style » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 pm

What do you guys think about Dallas McPherson?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 pm

He is doing well in AAA, but hasn't been promoted because there is no spot for him with Cantu playing well. Dallas has always had potential, but it seems like whenever he would get his shot, injuries would always pop up. If he can avoid the DL, I think he could become a good guy to have. He just needs a chance.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:20 pm

On a related note, I wanted to comment on how few true, young position players have emerged from relative obscurity this season(2b, SS, & 3B).

Alexei Ramirez and Evan Longoria (who was well publicized) are really the only ones of note. Mike Aviles probably deserves mention as well, but I'm not high on him moving forward.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sblinyy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Field wrote:On a related note, I wanted to comment on how few true, young position players have emerged from relative obscurity this season(2b, SS, & 3B).

Alexei Ramirez and Evan Longoria (who was well publicized) are really the only ones of note. Mike Aviles probably deserves mention as well, but I'm not high on him moving forward.

add Lowrie to that list.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 pm

I think Jesus Flores has been mentioned once in this thread - I think he's a solid backend of the draft catcher. If he wasn't in Washington he'd have more value, but he's still got the potential to hit 20 HR and hit .280.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

I've got a few...

C: Jesus Flores - Was (WOW! I really think he's going to be a stud, next-Russell Martin?)
C: Jeff Mathis - LAA (Already showing why he was considered their top C prospect)
C: Kurt Suzuki - OAK (Very impressive so far and a great 2nd half so far)
1B: Mike Jacobs - FLA (20+ HR and very likely to be traded in the off-season to an offensive team)
1B: Nick Johnson - WAS (Still a believer if he could ever stay healthy)
2B: Adrian Cardenas - OAK (Ellis should be gone and Cardenas might be best 2B prospect in baseball)
2B: Matt Antonelli - SD (Should find starting spot in SD soon)
2B: Alexi Casilla - MIN (Finally realized potential prior to getting hurt)
2B: Emilio Bonifacio - WAS (Actually agree with Bowden and think he has big-time power potential)
SS: Erik Aybar - LAA (doing a great job hitting 2nd and money w/RISP)
SS: Felipe Lopez - FA (if he gets comfortable somewhere, he has great upside, BAL?)
SS/2B: Josh Barfield - CLE (still could be the next Brandon Phllips)
3B/1B: Chris Davis - TEX (Wherever he plays, crazy power, 3B might let them keep Max, Tea, & Salty)
3B: Jose Castillo - SF (Giants sorta found lightening in a bottle, outproducing expectations)
3B: Dallas McPherson - FLA (His arrival would push Jacobs out and Cantu to 1B)
3B: Chad Tracy - ARZ (For those that jumped on him when they could are very happy)

OF: David Dejesus - KC (Very underrated and well-rounded)
OF: Travis Buck - OAL (He and Markakis have crazy similar stats if you look closely)
OF: Brian Barton - STL (I absolutely love this guy if he could get full-time)
OF: Brett Garder - NYY (Equals Brett Butler???)
OF: National's OF (Kearns, Dukes, Pena, Millage, & Maxwell all have crazy potential)

Guys that need a change in scenery or are blocked...Brian Anderson, Jeremy Reed, Jonny Gomes, Austin Kearns, CoCo Crisp, Sean Rodriguez, Chris Nelson
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I've got a few...

C: Jesus Flores - Was (WOW! I really think he's going to be a stud, next-Russell Martin?)

I don't think he'll ever get enough SB to be in the convo with Russell Martin. He only has one year of more than 2 SB in his career.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:11 pm

C: Jeff Mathis - LAA (Already showing why he was considered their top C prospect)
1B: Mike Jacobs - FLA (20+ HR and very likely to be traded in the off-season to an offensive team)
2B: Adrian Cardenas - OAK (Ellis should be gone and Cardenas might be best 2B prospect in baseball)
2B: Emilio Bonifacio - WAS (Actually agree with Bowden and think he has big-time power potential)
SS: Felipe Lopez - FA (if he gets comfortable somewhere, he has great upside, BAL?)
3B/1B: Chris Davis - TEX (Wherever he plays, crazy power, 3B might let them keep Max, Tea, & Salty)
3B: Jose Castillo - SF (Giants sorta found lightening in a bottle, outproducing expectations)
3B: Chad Tracy - ARZ (For those that jumped on him when they could are very happy)

OF: Travis Buck - OAL (He and Markakis have crazy similar stats if you look closely)
OF: National's OF (Kearns, Dukes, Pena, Millage, & Maxwell all have crazy potential)

Guys that need a change in scenery or are blocked...Brian Anderson, Jeremy Reed, Jonny Gomes, Austin Kearns, CoCo Crisp, Sean Rodriguez, Chris Nelson

Barfield, Kearns, and Lopez are garbage. Don't spread nasty rumors of them having potential anymore %-6

Some decent outside the box thinking going on here, though.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:

Barfield, Kearns, and Lopez are garbage. Don't spread nasty rumors of them having potential anymore %-6

Some decent outside the box thinking going on here, though.

They said the same thing about Brandon Phillips while he as an Indian. Lopez can produce if given ABs. I believe he was 20/20 a few years ago. Kearns is stll wirthy in NL only leagues. Thank you very much.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 pm

dclark0699 wrote:

I don't think he'll ever get enough SB to be in the convo with Russell Martin. He only has one year of more than 2 SB in his career.

Speed wise, you're probably right but he plays the position Martin's level and he might produce more power than Martin in the future. Still, expect him to be a feature in the Nationals lineup for years to come imo. McCann might be a better comparison.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers