2009 Position Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Position Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Position Sleepers

Postby hot4tx » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:04 am

Tommy John wrote:Konerko will probably be undervalued

This will be his second "down year" in a row. Maybe it's time to consider it a trend? I've long been a Konerko fan, but he is possibly even playing himself out of a starting job. I'm not sure he'll have enough upside for next year to be greatly undervalued. Sad but true?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:49 pm

it seems that many players, when not hitting for power, look for other ways to contribute. i didnt say it was the only reason he was stealing, just that i feel he is stealing more because of his lack of power. last year he only had 22 sb in 472 ab's. also, many managers dont want their sluggers stealing as often due to the increased injury risk.

not saying im right, just my opinion.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby garf112 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 pm

hot4tx wrote:
Tommy John wrote:Konerko will probably be undervalued

This will be his second "down year" in a row. Maybe it's time to consider it a trend? I've long been a Konerko fan, but he is possibly even playing himself out of a starting job. I'm not sure he'll have enough upside for next year to be greatly undervalued. Sad but true?

yeah, konerko is done. the downward trend in power says it all.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm

NL only and deeep leagues....joe mather STL
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Jesus Flores
I like Mather as well.
Brandon Moss
Adam Lind
Michael Bourn :-o
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:54 pm

I like Andy Laroche as a sleeper especially in deeper leagues. Having a full-time role should give a better idea as to how Laroche will figure to perform. I also like Lastings Milledge as a late-round flier yet again next year. Someone said Carlos Gonzalez but I see him more as a doubles hitter that will post 15-20 homeruns at best. Could be a nice post-hype sleeper though.

If they keep producing fairly well, I don't see Chris Davis and Billy Butler being sleepers as they carry a high enough profile. Alex Gordon seems like another post-hype sleeper, but I'm not particularly bullish on him unless he improves his plate discipline. Depending on how he finishes, Stephen Drew could enter '09 as a sleeper option again.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:56 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I like Andy Laroche as a sleeper especially in deeper leagues. Having a full-time role should give a better idea as to how Laroche will figure to perform. I also like Lastings Milledge as a late-round flier yet again next year. Someone said Carlos Gonzalez but I see him more as a doubles hitter that will post 15-20 homeruns at best. Could be a nice post-hype sleeper though.

If they keep producing fairly well, I don't see Chris Davis and Billy Butler being sleepers as they carry a high enough profile. Alex Gordon seems like another post-hype sleeper, but I'm not particularly bullish on him unless he improves his plate discipline. Depending on how he finishes, Stephen Drew could enter '09 as a sleeper option again.

I'm a bit hesitant on Laroche. He hasn't really shown much so far and I know he had shoulder issues which potentially explains the power drop. Could he regain form?

I like Milledge as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:02 pm

With Laroche, I'd say it has to do with the nagging injuries and because the Dodgers have mishandled him for the most part up in the bigs. At each level, Laroche has tended to be a bit slow to adjust but he eventually does. His power potential is more like 30 tops and he's been compared to more as a Scott Rolen type. The only thing I'd be worried about is that the Pirates also have Neil Walker in the minors who has been groomed to play 3B as well. For the rest of this year, it seems like it's Laroche's job for the most part.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Mayor Daley » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Bryan LaHair
Brandon Moss
David Murphy
Mayor Daley
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext