This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby kugino » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:41 pm

let's assume santana picks up the win today against the marlins on 3 days rest. and they go on to claim the wild card. does santana get more cy young votes? or is it pretty much a 2-horse race b/c lincecum and webb? two guys whose teams didn't make it to the post-season? i hate that everyone's looking at webb's wins. wins, as fantasy players know, are a crapshoot. i would vote for lincecum first, johan second, and webb third...but that's just me. (and kudos to cc's work in milwaukee, but you don't get my cy young vote)
5x5 12-team league w/5 keepers.
as of 5/02: 2nd place; 5/27: 6th
kugino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:41 pm

kugino wrote:let's assume santana picks up the win today against the marlins on 3 days rest. and they go on to claim the wild card. does santana get more cy young votes? or is it pretty much a 2-horse race b/c lincecum and webb? two guys whose teams didn't make it to the post-season? i hate that everyone's looking at webb's wins. wins, as fantasy players know, are a crapshoot. i would vote for lincecum first, johan second, and webb third...but that's just me. (and kudos to cc's work in milwaukee, but you don't get my cy young vote)

He will get some votes, but he doesn't have a shot whatsoever. But I do agree with everything you just said.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby kugino » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:48 pm

santana: 16-7, 2.53 ERA, 206 K
lincecum: 17-5, 2.66 ERA, 252 K
webb: 22-7, 3.24 ERA, 176 K
dempster: 17-6, 2.96 ERA, 187 K

post all-star:
santana: 7-0, 2.37 ERA, 83 K
lincecum: 6-3, 2.79 ERA, 117 K
webb: 9-3, 3.25 ERA, 64 K
sabathia: 8-2, 1.69 ERA, 107 K

UPDATE: having just read jason stark's piece on espn, lincecum has had 5 saves blown for him this season while webb has only had one save blown for him. i'm guessing that santana had about 5 as well...

just some stats to think about. let's also figure in that dempster's team has the best record in the NL, webb and lincecum's teams won't make the post-season, and santana's might not, either.

i'm happy with lincecum winning it (even though i hate the giants)...but i won't be happy with webb winning. it. edinson volquez has five fewer wins than webb, but has better stats in every other category. how can webb win it?
Last edited by kugino on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
5x5 12-team league w/5 keepers.
as of 5/02: 2nd place; 5/27: 6th
kugino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Yoda wrote:Mets do not deserve anything after another unspectacular season. Bottom of the 9th, man on third, no out and they can't score? Please. That is not a playoff team.

I didn't realize the entire season was unspectacular because of one bad inning. :-?

(P.S. if you look up "spectacular" in the dictionary it will show you the video of today's performance by Johan Santana.)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:40 pm

DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:Mets do not deserve anything after another unspectacular season. Bottom of the 9th, man on third, no out and they can't score? Please. That is not a playoff team.

I didn't realize the entire season was unspectacular because of one bad inning. :-?

(P.S. if you look up "spectacular" in the dictionary it will show you the video of today's performance by Johan Santana.)

They were the NL favorites after getting Johan and missed the playoffs again. Not nearly as bad as last season's meltdown but still pretty bad.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 pm

They didn't miss the playoffs because of Johan. It's unbelievable how great he was. Craptastic ending to the season no doubt but that complete game shutout on 3-days rest will live in Mets lore for a long time. It's been a pleasure to watch him this season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:They didn't miss the playoffs because of Johan. It's unbelievable how great he was. Craptastic ending to the season no doubt but that complete game shutout on 3-days rest will live in Mets lore for a long time. It's been a pleasure to watch him this season.

It certainly has. A disappointment on the season as a whole, but watching Johan in a Met uniform every five days was a pleasure, to say the least, this season. I am absolutely thrilled that he pitches for my favorite team. Hopefully they're able to pull it together as a team in '09.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Santana leads Lincecum in ERA, VORP and is tied with him in RC. He might get my vote for Cy. It's a toss-up between him and Lincecum IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Santana pitched that game with a torn meniscus in his knee. He had it operated on today (or yesterday) according to WFAN.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:34 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Leena wrote:Johan should hate everybody and everything that thinks wins determine how good a pitcher is at baseball.

The "W" stat is probably the most flawed stat in the game.

True. Everyone knows the two most important stats in the game are HRs and RBIs. That's it. ;-7
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers