This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Ursa wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:I see where you're coming from, and agree with some of the points that you make, I was just pointing out that I don't think that standards for a quality start are very good. I'd say that 6 IP and 3 ER is more of a mediocre start than a quality start. Unless the requirements for a QS are improved, which I don't see happening anytime soon, then I won't be in favor of switching to it.

Now what I've always wondered is, would it be a good idea to start using ERA+ in place of ERA in fantasy leagues?

Bert Blyleven, Twins color commentator and pretty darn good pitcher in his time, agrees 100% with you. In the course of a long rant Wednesday against how pitchers in general are used nowadays, Blyleven made the same exact point - 6 IP, 3 ER is no better than mediocre. Personally, I'd make QS 6 IP, 2 ER.


Yes but you have to look at the average ERA for a starter to determine what should be considered "quality". Last 10 years, the league avg ERA has been:
NL 4.11-4.45
AL 4.19-5.07

4.50 seems like a pretty good average when you consider both AL and NL.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
Ursa wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:I see where you're coming from, and agree with some of the points that you make, I was just pointing out that I don't think that standards for a quality start are very good. I'd say that 6 IP and 3 ER is more of a mediocre start than a quality start. Unless the requirements for a QS are improved, which I don't see happening anytime soon, then I won't be in favor of switching to it.

Now what I've always wondered is, would it be a good idea to start using ERA+ in place of ERA in fantasy leagues?

Bert Blyleven, Twins color commentator and pretty darn good pitcher in his time, agrees 100% with you. In the course of a long rant Wednesday against how pitchers in general are used nowadays, Blyleven made the same exact point - 6 IP, 3 ER is no better than mediocre. Personally, I'd make QS 6 IP, 2 ER.


Yes but you have to look at the average ERA for a starter to determine what should be considered "quality". Last 10 years, the league avg ERA has been:
NL 4.11-4.45
AL 4.19-5.07

4.50 seems like a pretty good average when you consider both AL and NL.


Well, having a 4.50 ERA is good for 11th place in our 12-team league in the ERA catagory. I like to see it raised to 7 IP and 3 ER to give QS a little separation between teams in that catagory. I just wish there were a way where I could set the requirements for the QS stats.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1618
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Playing on the Field of Dreams

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Yeah that's why I hate QS as far as fantasy is concerned. It doesn't translate to fantasy because the league averages are obviously a lot different. It's also redundant with ERA. It's a pipe dream but I would love a league site where there was a special fantasy QS that would actually fluctuate with the league.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yeah that's why I hate QS as far as fantasy is concerned. It doesn't translate to fantasy because the league averages are obviously a lot different. It's also redundant with ERA. It's a pipe dream but I would love a league site where there was a special fantasy QS that would actually fluctuate with the league.


That would be good but I think it needs to be locked from the beginning of the season no?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:31 pm

I think it could apply retroactively but never gave it a lot of thought. Would have to see it in practice. A site where you can just define "FQS" at the beginning of the season would be good enough. Maybe like Chargers suggested 7 IP 3 ER or ~3.85 ERA.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:07 pm

You're right Yoda, if one was able to adjust numbers for a QS, you would have to lock it in prior to the seaon beginning, kind of like determining the number of players you can have legally on your team.

The majority of my league hates the wins category, but hate the QS even worse because of the 6 IP, 4.50 ERA needed for the stat. They've all said, if there was a way to lower the ERA needed for a QS, we would throw wins out the window. However, this is a MLB rule and doesn't allow it to be adjusted on any site that I know of.

Maybe I'll email CBS and ask them about it... :-?
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1618
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Playing on the Field of Dreams

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Interesting idea. What if you added base runners into the equation? ER+Total Baserunners/9 or something?

Only problem is then we are going for more points based scoring versus category based. Also the redundancy of ERA/WHIP.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm more concerned about the lack of K's. Sucks having him in a keeper.


It sucks having Johan in a keeper? That's crazy talk. :-b

Yeah, K's are down, but he still is doing quite well...I'm more concerned with the amount of HR's he gives up.

But to say it sucks to have Johan in a keeper...if I were in your league, I'd make an offer right now.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm more concerned about the lack of K's. Sucks having him in a keeper.


It sucks having Johan in a keeper? That's crazy talk. :-b

Yeah, K's are down, but he still is doing quite well...I'm more concerned with the amount of HR's he gives up.

But to say it sucks to have Johan in a keeper...if I were in your league, I'd make an offer right now.


I was probably asking too much. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: This is why Johan should hate everybody and everything ever

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Yoda wrote:Only problem is then we are going for more points based scoring versus category based.

Resistance is futile. }:-) }:-) }:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 7:56 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact