Fantasy Baseball...Remember How It Used To Be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball...Remember How It Used To Be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball...Remember How It Used To Be?

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:35 am

Oh man how the internet has changed the way we enjoy baseball. Specifically Fantasy Baseball.

Remember the late 80s to early 90s when we would draft our teams and the commish would have to do the data by hand before mailing in the paperwork? Then as the season played out we all would wait excitidely for Wednesday when the weekly stats were in the mailbox? The good ol' days. And FA pickups were made on the phone on Sunday night with FA aquisition budgets.

The nostalgia is killing me. Thank you Yahoo!
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby emb0lus » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:51 am

ah, the memories. although, I used to pick up the usa today on tuesday since i played in an al only league. Did you buy those books that had the dollar values for all the players?
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:27 am

Yeah, we were AL-only, too. And had to get those dollar-value books written by the original roto guys.

I remember buying Albert Belle for 51 bucks that year...shocking the table. That was the year where I won my only Roto title ever. I am a perennial top 3 finisher but can never close it out.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby emb0lus » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:36 am

I remember him well since I didn't get him. He went first pick I believe one year (there was a huge Indian's fan in my league.) I had Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas the year I missed a first place tie by only 1 point.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:08 am

Yeah, the internet has made things so much easier and faster. I'm spoiled with the instant updates and I'm not sure I could go back to the once a week standings in the mail. Ah, the good old days. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:32 pm

Hey Madison...I am putting your post numbers in perspective. I figure each of your 19,569 posts written means that you have read about 189, 669. Or more?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:34 pm

The above post was written by me, Y`s Guy.

Just too lazy to sign in today.

Postby soxfanatic » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey Madison...I am putting your post numbers in perspective. I figure each of your 19,569 posts written means that you have read about 189, 669. Or more?

:-? thats alot of reading. do you still reasd every post that comeinto the cafe like you used to?
soxfanatic

Postby jonnyblack » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:41 pm

I remember the old pencil leagues. in 1991, all of the guys in my hometowner got access to email through the old telnet system. That year, we went to daily line-up changes, but the commish still kept all the stats on paper, and he emailed the standings on Sunday. These days, any old Joe can be a commish, but then, a commish had to be both committed and a bit anal. I remember dreading the year it was my turn to be the commish, only to find that my appreciation for fbb grew as a result.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby El Jefe » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:47 pm

I remember in my first draft, back in the day, I took a chance on a up and coming rookie 3B in Cleveland...Jim Thome. I think he had a small cup of coffee in the show that year.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers