Rich Harden - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich Harden

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rich Harden

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:20 pm

All of the talent in the world, but we all know of his injury riddled past.

He's hit the 100 IP mark for 2008, with stellar numbers - 2.04ERA, 131K's, 1.09 WHIP....

What is the feeling on him for the rest of this year? Next? In keeper leagues?

Has he put his injury woes behind him, or is another devestating injury right around the corner?

Still only 26....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rich Harden

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Great pitcher when healthy.

Personally, someone who has been so injury prone at such a young age cannot be counted on to stay healthy for the longer term. It is really anyone's guess as to whether he can stay healthy through the end of this season as injuries are not predictable. If I were a betting man, then based on his track record, he will breakdown this year and in the future as he continue to tease us.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:27 pm

I need him to get hurt again because I know if he pitches out the rest of the year - when the time comes next year - I'm going to consider keeping him. :-[ :-[
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:29 pm

True, there really is no way to predict any future injuries, just be aware of his past and bid accordngly.

So perhaps the question becomes: If he can stay healthy this year and continue to be one of the most, if not the most dominant starting pitcher in the game, where should he be drafted next year?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:32 pm

pokerplaya wrote:True, there really is no way to predict any future injuries, just be aware of his past and bid accordngly.

So perhaps the question becomes: If he can stay healthy this year and continue to be one of the most, if not the most dominant starting pitcher in the game, where should he be drafted next year?

Barring injury for the rest of the year - I'd consider taking him as my number 3 starter next year.

EDIT: Just to clarify - I meant #3 on my team - not overall ;-D
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 pm

As a Cubs fan and a Harden owner, I'm doubly terrified every start. :-o

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Field » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Can anyone think of any pitcher who actually turned out to be a dependable ace after being so riddled with injuries early in his career? Off the top of my head I can't think of one, but maybe some other posters might be able to come up with something...
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Carpenter comes to mind. He started coming into his own at around 26 and then missed almost two years with a serious shoulder injury. Came back and dominated and was great for a couple of years then had the TJ.

Beckett was extremely injury prone as well and to some degree still is.

Burnett also but he was never a top 10 pitcher. Just very good.

Smoltz had some injury issues and probably is the poster child for someone who endured so many of them.

Those are just the top of my head but there are only a handful.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:36 pm

He's hit the 100 IP mark, but he hasn't hit it without getting injured at all this year, I think the idea he is past his injury plague is baseless. There is just no way to predict it, and I feel sorry for anyone that feels completely confident in the idea that he is completely out of the woods. We all know the story on this guy, he's a complete and utter stud, but for every ounce of stud in him there is an equal one of risk, if you are a gambler have fun, if injuries or worrying about injuries makes you sick it's best to stay away. Drafting Harden or keeping Harden in my mind forces you to change you draft strategy to ensure some level of quality pitching depth, because his injury prone isn't miss 3-4 start over the course of the year that can be fixed with waiver wire pick ups at anytime, he's liable to go down for half the season or more.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Has he put his injury woes behind him

Are you actually asking that? I think it's highly doubtful that he, all of a sudden, he put his injury woes behind him. :-b

I wish he could though. He deserves it with all he has gone through.

And he's Canadian. :-D :-b
Last edited by sportsguy138 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers