Alvarez affected? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Alvarez affected?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alvarez affected?

Postby APAP » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:02 am

I was wondering how the Jason Bay deal affects Avlarez's road to the majors at Pittsburgh. With the Pirates getting LaRoche, is this a bit of a block for Alvarez's future coming up for the Pirates...or does his future hold a position switch?
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Alvarez affected?

Postby kab21 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:56 am

APAP wrote:I was wondering how the Jason Bay deal affects Avlarez's road to the majors at Pittsburgh. With the Pirates getting LaRoche, is this a bit of a block for Alvarez's future coming up for the Pirates...or does his future hold a position switch?

I think you worry about that in 2 years if

A) LaRoche actually shows that he's a good player

B) Alvarez flies thru the minors as fast as everyone is predicting. He's extremely good, but any prospect can underperform.

It also wouldn't be real surprising to see Andy's brother Adam traded or let go as a FA after the '09 season. And then one of the 2 (or Steve Pearce) switches to 1B. Or they move Andy for a pitcher in 2 years to free up a spot for Alvarez. It will sort itself out.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amatter32 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:57 am

Alvarez will be affected just like Braun/LaPorta/Gamel in Milwaukee the past year. Someone will definitely have to move. Is it possible for Alvarez to return to Vanderbilt? I know that it has been thrown out there that the Pirates could have trouble signing him, this may have increased the chances.

There are several things that may happen, any of these guys could move, maybe Andy to 2b? He has played 2b before. He probably wouldn't win any Gold Gloves but it could work.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:21 pm

You guys think it'll really be 2 years before Alvarez is brought up?.......I thought the talk was that he could even get a taste of the bigs at some point next year.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MaudDib » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 pm

If Alvarez had signed quickly and started playing this year then I might have expected to see him in Sept of next year under the best case scenerio. But know you should kind of give him the Matt Wieters timeframe. Wieters signed late last year but has been tearing it up in the minors and should see a call-up at some point next year. Whether it is early or just a Sept call-up is up for debate. If Alvarez can come in like Weiters than I would expect him to do the same thing.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I think Oakland had been trying to get LaRoche. It would be great if LaRoche showed he could play, and then the Pirates traded him to Oakland for some of Oakland's vast vast pitching depth. The Pirates need starting pitching desperately.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball