Post Trade Deadline Rumor Extravaganza (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post Trade Deadline Rumor Extravaganza (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Post Trade Deadline Rumor Extravaganza (Merged)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:04 pm

As well as I am, he is a very hot RH bat right now. And would be a very good fit while CC is out.
The Yankees could of put a claim in?
But the only teams I see doing it are Yanks, Twins, Red Sox, Rays...
But if the Sox and Ms dont work a deal does that mean he moves on the next time in order to attempt a claim?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Ibanez is a LH batter but he does hit LHP well.

jlm53089 wrote:But if the Sox and Ms dont work a deal does that mean he moves on the next time in order to attempt a claim?

They'd have to put him on irrevocable waivers and if theoretically they can't work out a deal with the Sox it means they won't let him go for free so unlikely.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:Ibanez is a LH batter but he does hit LHP well.

jlm53089 wrote:But if the Sox and Ms dont work a deal does that mean he moves on the next time in order to attempt a claim?

They'd have to put him on irrevocable waivers and if theoretically they can't work out a deal with the Sox it means they won't let him go for free so unlikely.

He has actually hit lefties this year, but the past two years he has not been able to hit them at all (.650 OPS range). I'm not sure if he's actually figured something out or if it's small sample size variation... In any case, if he's dealt it won't be cheap. The return would have to be better than a first rounder and a sandwich pick.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Ahh yeah I noticed his splits this year because it came up on all the Mets fan forums and never bothered checking his career splits.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Reports are that the Tigers won the Ibanez claim and the Twins won the Washburn claim. Deals were worked out for neither, so both will remain with the Mariners.

I can't believe we didn't take the opportunity to rid ourselves of $10M in salary for next year, even if it was a straight salary dump and we got nothing in return. Washburn is horrid. Unbelievable. I hate the Mariners. !+)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Reports are that the Tigers won the Ibanez claim and the Twins won the Washburn claim. Deals were worked out for neither, so both will remain with the Mariners.

I can't believe we didn't take the opportunity to rid ourselves of $10M in salary for next year, even if it was a straight salary dump and we got nothing in return. Washburn is horrid. Unbelievable. I hate the Mariners. !+)

The Tigers may have wanted more than just Ibanez. ;-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 am

JTWood wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Reports are that the Tigers won the Ibanez claim and the Twins won the Washburn claim. Deals were worked out for neither, so both will remain with the Mariners.

The Tigers may have wanted more than just Ibanez. ;-)

I'm actually glad the M's didn't trade Ibanez. The two picks they'll get are worth more than anything they'll get now. Washburn on the other hand... %-6
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Old_Style » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:45 am

Can anybody come up with a logical explanation why the M's didn't dump Washburn on the Twins when the claimed him?
These jokesters up in Seattle boggle the mind.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:27 am

I think Seattle believes that they can compete next year, and that Washburn could be a big part of that (not that I agree, but that's what they seem to believe...)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:27 am

Old_Style wrote:Can anybody come up with a logical explanation why the M's didn't dump Washburn on the Twins when the claimed him?
These jokesters up in Seattle boggle the mind.

The Twins may have wanted more than just Washburn. ;-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers