Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months

Postby jfg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote: Am I just not supposed to question how high the taxes are?

seeing that you pay a smaller portion of your income to taxes than any major country in the world (except japan, sometimes), your question should not be how high your taxes are, but instead, how your taxes are being used.

Exactly. Taxes are necessary and despite what people say, the taxes we pay in the US are not ridiculous. The whole tax conversation needs to change from "How much am I paying" to "What is this money being used for". Unfortunately, we're so obsessed with money that we lose sight of how our taxes improve our everyday lives and how a little foresight can make our lives even better. Just think if our politicians in the 50's and 60's invested in transportion systems. Just one example on how proper use of tax money and leaders with vision could have really made an impact on future generations. But, the main thing is that this obsession with money needs to end. By having a house and a car you are in the top 10% of the world's richest people. I barely have anything, I rent and have hand me down vehicles and that's far more than a majority of other people living in the world. It would be nice to live a little better, but I'm living comfortably. Americans (not just Americans) need to start realizing what they have and stop thinking about what they can get.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:So who is gauging us again?

I don't mind being "gouged" for $0.70 per gallon in taxes. I enjoy roads.

First, you don't actually think that the government earmarks taxes aligned based on their source, do you? Hell, even road toll revenue isn't earmarked for maintenance on the road.

In my state, gas taxes (state taxes at least, federal is only about $0.18 per gallon), absolutely are earmarked for specific uses. The vast majority goes to roads, with small amounts going to a variety of programs, including public transportation, bicycle paths, and, if I remember correctly, some river and stream restoration and state parks.
Curtis Pride wrote:And $0.70 cents is the exact amount that is necessary for roads? Not 50 cents or 5 cents or 2 dollars per gallon? That's the optimum amount of taxes per gallon just because some bureaucrat said so? Am I just not supposed to question how high the taxes are?

I didn't say any of this. Just that I don't feel gouged paying $0.70 per gallon in gas tax. At that rate, and with my average gas usage (even using a very liberal figure that I certainly don't reach, and underestimating my gas mileage) I pay less than $500 a year in gas tax. That seems like a reasonable amount to me, especially considering some of the other things I mentioned above (bike paths, public transportation, etc.) that I use as well. If you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth for your gas tax dollars, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, just saying that I don't mind.
Curtis Pride wrote:My point is people bemoan a company for making profit because they deem it to be excessive, but the money that the government is taking of the transaction dwarves any revenues generated by the company actually creating the value.

But, at least in my case, I feel like I'm getting a good return on investment, so to speak, for the money the government is "taking." That said, this is an old thread, and I don't remember everything I've said in it over the last few years, but I'm not one of those bemoaning these profits.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:27 pm

jfg wrote:Exactly. Taxes are necessary and despite what people say, the taxes we pay in the US are not ridiculous. The whole tax conversation needs to change from "How much am I paying" to "What is this money being used for". Unfortunately, we're so obsessed with money that we lose sight of how our taxes improve our everyday lives and how a little foresight can make our lives even better. Just think if our politicians in the 50's and 60's invested in transportion systems. Just one example on how proper use of tax money and leaders with vision could have really made an impact on future generations. But, the main thing is that this obsession with money needs to end. By having a house and a car you are in the top 10% of the world's richest people. I barely have anything, I rent and have hand me down vehicles and that's far more than a majority of other people living in the world. It would be nice to live a little better, but I'm living comfortably. Americans (not just Americans) need to start realizing what they have and stop thinking about what they can get.

Americans in general don't pay shall I say, generous taxes relative to the rest of the world. However, the US government spends relatively less on social services compared to other nations. Taxes are higher in say, Europe, but residents generally get what they pay for (i.e. relatively manageable healthcare costs, improving infrastructure). Probably a topic for another thread though.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:19 pm

We get what we pay for: Bombs

No, wait. They get what we pay for. :-b

X-I
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:So who is gauging us again?

I don't mind being "gouged" for $0.70 per gallon in taxes. I enjoy roads.

First, you don't actually think that the government earmarks taxes aligned based on their source, do you? Hell, even road toll revenue isn't earmarked for maintenance on the road.

And $0.70 cents is the exact amount that is necessary for roads? Not 50 cents or 5 cents or 2 dollars per gallon? That's the optimum amount of taxes per gallon just because some bureaucrat said so? Am I just not supposed to question how high the taxes are?

My point is people bemoan a company for making profit because they deem it to be excessive, but the money that the government is taking of the transaction dwarves any revenues generated by the company actually creating the value.

dwarfs

These are dwarves

The money the government takes dwarfs what Bernie Madoff stole as well, does that mean we can't complain about him? What does one have to do with the other? Taxes are taxes but record profits by a company charging $1.32 a litre for its product is stomach-churning.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 am

Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Previous