Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Exxon's record $11.6 B 3 months

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 am

i dont really know why anyone can be mad at this. this is a business and if you ran the business you'd want the highest profits possible. sure it sucks for us, but if it was me, i wouldnt want anyone telling me i made too much money.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:15 pm

soxfan364 wrote:yeah I know all about supply and demand. Isn't demand DOWN in the US ? So prices should fall (as they are starting to fall the past few weeks). But if the big oil companies COSTS are high (record oil prices, higher costs to produce the gasoline), shouldn't their profit margin remain the same and not increase to a record high?

thedude wrote:
soxfan364 wrote:This is what I don't get... if the cost of crude oil is also going up, then why are Exxon's (and Shell's) profits also at all time high. Should they barely be breaking even if they are NOT artificially inflating gasoline prices?!

Here is your answer.

Demand for Oil is inelastic in the US, so it really doesn't change that much in the short-run. Demand world wide is continuing to increase (especially in China). Since the Oil market is a monopoly, Exxon can decrease the supply and increase the price.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 pm

The oil market is not a monopoly. There is no one company that controls everything.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:36 pm

God I can't wait till hydrogen fuel cells, nuclear power, and electric cars take hold. But of course, the oil lobby will try to delay that until we have six months of oil left in the world and gas costs $25 a gallon.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Hydrogen has major storage issues. It's so light that a lot of it is lost just in the process of getting it from point A to point B, and that's before you put it in your car and start losing more of it.

Electric is probably the next best bet, but that will put an even bigger crimp on home heating costs, since it would come from the same infrastructure. Then all the complainers will shift from "Big Oil" to "Big Electric."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:03 pm

We need to focus all of our attention on teleporting.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:50 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Yoda wrote:Yeah and guess who pays for their profits. F :-t

the "their" you mention is thousands upon thousands of people around the world and likely includes family, friends, and maybe even yourself. They are called "shareholders".

Nearly 90% of all shares of stock in the United States are held by the wealthiest 10% of households. Clearly, some people are benefitting a whole lot more than others.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 pm

bleach168 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Yoda wrote:Yeah and guess who pays for their profits. F :-t

the "their" you mention is thousands upon thousands of people around the world and likely includes family, friends, and maybe even yourself. They are called "shareholders".

Nearly 90% of all shares of stock in the United States are held by the wealthiest 10% of households. Clearly, some people are benefitting a whole lot more than others.

Yes, it is a known fact that rich people have more assets than poor people, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Rich people also own tons of financial stocks, but I don't hear you crying for them.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 pm

Unless you're Countrywide and the government is giving you some security for your losses.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Rich people also own tons of financial stocks, but I don't hear you crying for them.

Yeah, I'm crying for rich people who own financial stocks. I mean, how dare those poor people losing their homes to foreclosure. Don't they realize how much they are hurting rich people? :-b
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk