Nelson Cruz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nelson Cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nelson Cruz

Postby DSheppard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 pm

i was sure the rangers would either trade cruz or trade someone to help make room for him on the rangers.

its silly to not give him one more shot. murphy is falling fast, boggs is apparently out of favor since he isnt getting any starts, byrd is doing a little better lately but hes still not much, bradley is limited to DH... Hamilton is the only OF who cant lose any starts.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 am

The Rangers will call up Nelson Cruz and designate Jason Ellison for assignment prior to Monday's game.
Cruz, who has hit 37 homers in Triple-A, is getting the call despite having played in just four games since returning from a strained quad. He'll probably see significant time in right field, giving him value in AL-only leagues. Brandon Boggs and Frank Catalanotto stand to lose at-bats.

Those looking for a late season spark might want to consider him.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 pm

If you can afford to play match-ups (v LH, at home, v terrible ptichers) he is well worth the gamble. I would be a little hesitant to use him every day in a 12 team league however.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DSheppard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm

He has a double and an opposite field 3-run HR in his first two at bats :-°
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm

RedHopeful wrote:This guy has been tearing it up all season. I'm surprised he hasn't been brought up or sought after by another ML team. One thing against him is that he's had prior incredible success in the minors only to disappoint at the ML level.

I read that too a long time ago, but then I was looking at the numbers. It seems to me that it just takes him a little time to get acclimated to each level. Everytime they brought him up, he'd struggle for a bit and then dominate.
Bottom of: http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/530355

I don't expect huge huge things out of him, but in all fairness he hasn't had that many at bats in the major leagues. Less than a full season. And in those years, the Ranger's lineup wasn't what it is now.
I know Teix was there during his first short stint, but that lineup is way deep now.
I don't see why there wouldn't be a decent chance he figures it out. The talent is obviously there.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby DSheppard » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:10 pm

2 HR game tonight, launching his ops from .725 to .955 rather quickly.
edit: .980 after chipping in a 2 rbi double.

He could be an interesting late rounder next year if the rangers commit to him. Which might be tough. Hamilton in center (ideally hed be in right, but the rangers dont have a CF ready.. maybe borbon later) is locked down... but then you've got Byrd, Murphy, Cruz and Boggs for 2 remaining spots. Crowded.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DSheppard » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:17 am

I can't help but bump it.
No love for cruz?

1.083 ops through 23 games back, 5 HR and 21 rbi.
15 walks (450 obp), 15 strikeouts. correcting his biggest problem in his previous mlb stints.

If the rangers make the moves to give him a starting job, im a believer. of course, i believe in a lot of rangers. but most of them do well =p
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers