100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pudge traded to Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pudge traded to Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:15 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:I actually like this trade for the tigers. Of course ESPN is going to say "future hall of famer" thousands of times tonight, but Pudge has not been very good for about 2 years now. The tigers need bullpen help much more than they need an every other day catcher. It's kind of sad to see him go because he was the beginning of the turnaround for Detroit, but the trade makes sense.

Farnsworth is the antithesis of bullpen help, have fun. :-)

Compared to Todd Jones, Farnsworth looks like the future hall of famer.

Touche. :-b

I'm not going to say that it was a bad deal for Detroit, especially since it seems that Pudge was growing tired of Detroit. Plus Farnsworth did have success during his last tenure in Detroit. I really like the deal from the Yankees standpoint, though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Yeah. I'm sure Pudge will be rejuvenated in NY, but in Detroit he didn't start hitting until he was platooned with Inge (check out his April/May splits). He's certainly a nice addition for the Yanks, but the Tigers didn't need him with Inge looking like the starter in 2009.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Interesting deal, because it's two teams matching "right now" needs, and trading two average, if not below average, players for each other. I think the Yankees win, but Pudge wasn't all that anyways....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:45 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:I actually like this trade for the tigers. Of course ESPN is going to say "future hall of famer" thousands of times tonight, but Pudge has not been very good for about 2 years now. The tigers need bullpen help much more than they need an every other day catcher. It's kind of sad to see him go because he was the beginning of the turnaround for Detroit, but the trade makes sense.

I disagree. I have spent most of the time since I got home from work and heard the werd muttering to myself "Farnsworth...ef-ef-ef- Farnsworth?" Cept not really ef-ef-ef. I don't mind them trading Pudge as I see it serves to take both he and Dombroski off the hook for the awkward resign or not resign deal next season. Now if Pudge wants to return to FLA he can much more freely.
I am mostly revolted that Dombrowski has turned into an idiot. Catchers are a rare comodity and Pudge is still a very, very serviceable C. To dump him for a retread that rejected your team a few years ago is a move that only Matt Millen* could appreciate. Sure we need anybody who can throw a bloody strike out of the pen, but Farnsworth isn't going to like being here, will not stay here, and may end up being a cancer. My head hurts to think of the packages that could have been put together to give the Tigers value they could use now and in the future.

ef-ef-ef-Farnsorth! :-P :-P :-P

Good luck Pudge. You have done much more for the Tigers than to end up being traded for a retread.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Pudges new number?

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am

Anybody know what number he will be wearing as a Yankee? We all know it won't be # 7 . My guess is # 77 I looked on the Yankees site and its still listed a blank.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 am

moochman wrote:

I disagree. I have spent most of the time since I got home from work and heard the werd muttering to myself "Farnsworth...ef-ef-ef- Farnsworth?" Cept not really ef-ef-ef. I don't mind them trading Pudge as I see it serves to take both he and Dombroski off the hook for the awkward resign or not resign deal next season. Now if Pudge wants to return to FLA he can much more freely.
I am mostly revolted that Dombrowski has turned into an idiot. Catchers are a rare comodity and Pudge is still a very, very serviceable C. To dump him for a retread that rejected your team a few years ago is a move that only Matt Millen* could appreciate. Sure we need anybody who can throw a bloody strike out of the pen, but Farnsworth isn't going to like being here, will not stay here, and may end up being a cancer. My head hurts to think of the packages that could have been put together to give the Tigers value they could use now and in the future.

Good luck Pudge. You have done much more for the Tigers than to end up being traded for a retread.

I understand the sentiment that we should have gotten more than a journeyman RP for pudge, but I think it's silly to assume that DD didn't try to get more than Farnsworth. You posted this at 12:45 so I assume you watched the game. The tigers used 6 mediocre relievers last night and it was tough to watch. Farnsworth is mediocre himself, but he's going to help, there's no denying that. Jones is a wreck and is now hurt, Rodney can't throw strikes, Zumaya can't be relied upon and Dolsi looked good for about 2 weeks.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Pudges new number?

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 am

Surfs up wrote:Anybody know what number he will be wearing as a Yankee? We all know it won't be # 7 . My guess is # 77 I looked on the Yankees site and its still listed a blank.

Come on man, that's Humberto Sanchez's number. :-°

But seriously, if I was Pudge maybe I'd try to go for 17. I don't see why Christian wouldn't give it up to a Hall of Famer.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dillpickle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:04 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
moochman wrote:

I understand the sentiment that we should have gotten more than a journeyman RP for pudge, but I think it's silly to assume that DD didn't try to get more than Farnsworth. You posted this at 12:45 so I assume you watched the game. The tigers used 6 mediocre relievers last night and it was tough to watch. Farnsworth is mediocre himself, but he's going to help, there's no denying that. Jones is a wreck and is now hurt, Rodney can't throw strikes, Zumaya can't be relied upon and Dolsi looked good for about 2 weeks.

I agree with this stuff. I too thought Pudge might be worth more on name alone; however, I trust other options were explored and DD didn't just take the first deal that came up related to Pudge. As for Pudge, there wasn't a bases loaded, one out double play he couldn't hit into. He's Ty Cobb with the bases empty though. It also rubbed me the wrong way when he conveniently decided to start hitting when Inge started taking his playing time. I don't like players who need those type of things for motivation (loss of playing time).

Now the Tigers need to add another one or two pieces to the bullpen. Considering I don't think they have enough expendable pieces to get a quality starting pitcher at the trade deadline, I think this is the route they go. There is no way in h*ll Robertson should see the mound in Detroit the rest of this year. He is BY FAR the worse starting pitcher in baseball. If they add some more bullpen help, they might be able to piece together the #5 spot in the rotation starting Lopez followed by a couple to four middle relievers. Might have to go quantity over quality at this point.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers