Why is Samardzija being so heavily added? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Samardzija being so heavily added?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is Samardzija being so heavily added?

Postby Triplec223 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Just trying to see if I'm missing something here. As of today (Wed., July 30), Cubs reliever Jeff Samardzija has been added by 22,888 teams in Yahoo leagues, making him easily the most-added player in the last few days (next closest is Scott Baker - 3,856 adds). I just have to ask why?

Yes he got a save the other day, but it came out after the game that he was just subbing in for Marmol, who had thrown a few innings the previous day. Lou Piniella said Samardzija would have a chance to close while Wood is out (below), but that's hardly a vote of confidence.

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Jeff Samardzija will be in the mix for the closer's role as long as Kerry Wood remains unavailable with his slow-healing blister.

"Why not?" Piniella said Monday. We're going to pitch whoever is available, whoever is the freshest," Piniella said. "I've got three people I can throw out there in the closer's role. We can just rotate it around and throw the freshest arm."

So he MAY get the occassional save and have a K/9 average of around 8-9, but it just seems to me that there are always better options on the WW than this. Maybe there are just a bunch of Notre Dame fans playing on Yahoo...
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why is Samardzija being so heavily added?

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Because NBC broadcasts Notre Dame games nationally.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OREO fan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I added him because he is SP eligible and Kerry Wood is known to miss significant time with injuries. The potential of an SP eligible closer is more valuable to me than some random bench player that I had.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Keeper leagues he throws 100mph
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Cause you know baby, he's the next big thing! (Dictators paraphrase)

Eh, wild numbers in the minors. I think it's because he has a z and a j in his last name.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Field » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Triplec223 wrote:Just trying to see if I'm missing something here. As of today (Wed., July 30), Cubs reliever Jeff Samardzija has been added by 22,888 teams in Yahoo leagues, making him easily the most-added player in the last few days (next closest is Scott Baker - 3,856 adds). I just have to ask why?

Yes he got a save the other day, but it came out after the game that he was just subbing in for Marmol, who had thrown a few innings the previous day. Lou Piniella said Samardzija would have a chance to close while Wood is out (below), but that's hardly a vote of confidence.

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Jeff Samardzija will be in the mix for the closer's role as long as Kerry Wood remains unavailable with his slow-healing blister.

"Why not?" Piniella said Monday. We're going to pitch whoever is available, whoever is the freshest," Piniella said. "I've got three people I can throw out there in the closer's role. We can just rotate it around and throw the freshest arm."

So he MAY get the occassional save and have a K/9 average of around 8-9, but it just seems to me that there are always better options on the WW than this. Maybe there are just a bunch of Notre Dame fans playing on Yahoo...

Not a guy to consider in standard leagues IMO. Let someone else grab him.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:18 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Cause you know baby, he's the next big thing! (Dictators paraphrase)

Eh, wild numbers in the minors. I think it's because he has a z and a j in his last name.

Agree on the wildness. Honestly, the funky last name (sadly) might actually contribute to the add-fiesta. Not as much as the Notre Dame thing, but still... Also, Brad Evans pimped him a few days ago. Anytime a guy's on Yahoo's front page, he's bound to get added. There's a guy in our league that checks his team early every morning and picks up whoever the experts are touting every time . Then, like clockwork, they get dropped 3 or 4 days later.

Anyway, back on track: I'm not touching Jeffy either. Even in my keeper, I don't have room for such a long shot...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby dracovonborax » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm

i for one am glad to see it. the guy with the #1 waiver used it on him so now i'm in 1st place and hold the #1 priority..nothing to stand in my way of David Price. :)
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

i snagged him after he cleared waivers in my league and the only reason i did is i do think he has great potential, but also we carry an 8 man farm club and i had 1 opening so i grabbed him and added him to my farm club...but i don't think JSama is that terrible i mean young with a cannon arm with crazy movement on his fastball, not that bad of a mixture...but i did grab him for my farm club...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm

dracovonborax wrote:i for one am glad to see it. the guy with the #1 waiver used it on him so now i'm in 1st place and hold the #1 priority..nothing to stand in my way of David Price. :)

You should see my league, everyone is a Cubs fan. One guy added him and two others posted "YOU BASTARD" on the message board. All the while I'm sitting here with WW pickups Kemp, B. Wilson, B. Molina, Bills, Marcum, and Giambi.....just laughing. :-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers