Braves post-trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves post-trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Braves post-trade

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:25 pm

So Teix has been dealt. Chipper's on the DL, Huddy's gone for what looks like could be a good while and McCann has a concussion. Given these recent events, how likely is it the Braves take it easy with Chipper and McCann and wait to bring them back or, worse yet, shut them down completely? I'd hope McCann comes back (he's my catcher) but with the Church saga teams are going to be careful with concussions. Chipper, OTOH, I could see where they basically tell him to take his time.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby wake » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:52 pm

The Braves are a mess right now. Out of their original rotation, Hampton is the only pitcher left (and he just made his first start in three years last Saturday). They're now without their #3, 4, and 5 hitters and their top 3 bullpen arms (Soriano, Gonzalez, Moylan) have only pitched a total 30 innings this season.

Chipper's probably going to get a lot of games off to rest his nagging leg injuries. I'm not too worried about McCann losing a lot of playing time, but he's not going to have too many good hitters around him anymore.
Last edited by wake on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Could the braves lose every game for the rest of the season!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby ataraxia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Perhaps they'd hold a firesale--Teixeira was essentially symbolic of the Braves' intention of "now", and since they traded him away, they may opt to quickly and radically build for the future.
Image
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 461
Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I don't see a firesale coming. They received back Kotchman who is a help now player instead of a bundle of prospects for the future. I also don't see much to sell on the roster.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 pm

kab21 wrote:I don't see a firesale coming. They received back Kotchman who is a help now player instead of a bundle of prospects for the future. I also don't see much to sell on the roster.


Yeah, this seasons already lost, I'd rather have prospects then kotchman. :-/
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:43 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I don't see a firesale coming. They received back Kotchman who is a help now player instead of a bundle of prospects for the future. I also don't see much to sell on the roster.


Yeah, this seasons already lost, I'd rather have prospects then kotchman. :-/


Kotchman isn't here for this season. But rather next season. Whether or not Kotchman (and Marek) are better than prospects or draft picks remains to be seen. He's alot safer though (lower risk/lower reward). I think the Braves want to be competitive next year instead of collecting a bunch of prospects/picks that will require additional time in the minors or MLB development. I'm not saying that I like the deal, but I can see their reasoning.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby sblinyy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 pm

ataraxia wrote:Perhaps they'd hold a firesale--Teixeira was essentially symbolic of the Braves' intention of "now", and since they traded him away, they may opt to quickly and radically build for the future.


I didn't take trading away tex as the braves not wanting to win "now". I believe they still want to win "now" but they just couldn't throw all that money towards tex.
Image

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 403
Joined: 1 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby wake » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:27 am

sblinyy wrote:I didn't take trading away tex as the braves not wanting to win "now". I believe they still want to win "now" but they just couldn't throw all that money towards tex.


They've given up on this year, especially since Hudson may be out for the year. I think the only reason they wanted a major league ready first baseman in return is because the free agent first baseman market is horrible this upcoming offseason. Since they don't have anyone in the minors they could use next season, they needed to get one through a trade somehow if they want to compete in 09.
Image
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves post-trade

Postby sblinyy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 am

wake wrote:
sblinyy wrote:I didn't take trading away tex as the braves not wanting to win "now". I believe they still want to win "now" but they just couldn't throw all that money towards tex.


They've given up on this year, especially since Hudson may be out for the year. I think the only reason they wanted a major league ready first baseman in return is because the free agent first baseman market is horrible this upcoming offseason. Since they don't have anyone in the minors they could use next season, they needed to get one through a trade somehow if they want to compete in 09.


Oh, Obviously they don't think they can win this year. I apologize for not specifying. I think they still think they can make a run in the near future like next year.
Image

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 403
Joined: 1 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact