Teix to LAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teix to LAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Look Mr. Bubbles he's an Angel! (TEX)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 pm

decoy562 wrote:The Braves really had no other options at 1B. Scott Thorman? He flunked. I don't think anyone wants to see Greg Norton play every day. No options I know of in the minors.

Again - who cares. They are punting the season. Put Thorman or any other AAA guy you want over there. The Braves have already announced that their season is OVER.

decoy562 wrote:And the statement of "just put a 3B guy over there" is a dumb idea.

I didn't say "just put a 3B guy over there" - I said they were not limited to trading for a 1B. They could have traded for a 3B instead and put him at first. And doing so is not dumb. Transitioning guys from 3B to 1B happens all the time - fielding both positions are very similar, only 1B is a lot easier. Look at Kevin Youkilis - he was considered a good-but-not-great defensive 3B and he had never played 1B before - within two seasons he turned into a gold glove caliber 1B and broke the MLB error-less streak at 1B.

decoy562 wrote:Finally, there is only one 1B on the market this winter...Teixeira.

Really? One? In all of MLB? What about Delgado (option won't be picked up), Giambi (ditto), Millar, Sexson, etc. plus other guys with some experience there like Dunn, Garciaparra, etc.? Teixeira is the only super-star free agent 1B, sure, but he's also one of the only super-star free agents at ANY position. Also, are the Braves not allowed to trade in the offseason?

decoy562 wrote:I think the Braves did the best they could in this situation and they got a decent 1B they have under contract for awhile.

Maybe they did, and maybe they didn't - but they weren't restricted in trading for a 1B. They could have traded for a pitcher or prospects or another hot commodity to flip or someone to fill some other need and then deal with the 1B hole later.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teix to LAA

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote: The Angels didn't give up "fair value" for Teix.

Send this trade to the commish's corner! We need to veto it! :-b
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
Kotchman is an above-average major league 1B.

I would strongly disagree with this. At best he is player with potential to be an average (not top 10, but 11th through 19th range) 1B. Hitting .290 with 25 HRs is not going to get him to "above average" stage and he's not quite there yet.

He does field the position very well, but MLB first basemen are hitters first and fielders second.

As would I. He currently ranks 20th in OBP and 17th in SLG amonst MLB 1B. That is not above average.

This is an interesting debate over Kotchman. Kotchman had an OBP almost 50 points higher last year. THis year, his K rate and his BB rate are both down by a considerable margin. If you ask me, this is most likely a result of a change in approach dictated by the coaching staff in Anaheim now that he's batting 2nd (If pitchers were "adjusting" to him, he would probably be King more as well....). His OBP of .372 is probably in the 11-15th range for MLB 1B (just guessing....). Add in that he fields his position well and he comes cheap, and he's not a bad guy to have on your team at all.

Furthermore, the Braves are punting this season, but are really looking to compete in 2009. Chipper's career is coming to a close, as are Smoltz and Glavine...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Kotchman the slap hitting first baseman :-t :-t
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Angels GM is about to be on ESPN RADIO. Its currently 3:10 eastern
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:39 pm

acsguitar wrote:Angels GM is about to be on ESPN RADIO. Its currently 3:10 eastern

did he already talk?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Phatferd wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Angels GM is about to be on ESPN RADIO. Its currently 3:10 eastern

did he already talk?

yea I think so.

Mod Edit. And the whole discussion that followed eradicated. Doesn't belong here. Thanks.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm listening to Scosscia on the radio right now and he said Teixeria is going to bat 3rd, Vlad 4th, Hunter 5th and GA 6th (I think he said Kendrick will be 7th). He likes Teix's OBP in the 3 hole ahead of the other big bats.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 pm

Phatferd wrote:I'm listening to Scosscia on the radio right now and he said Teixeria is going to bat 3rd, Vlad 4th, Hunter 5th and GA 6th (I think he said Kendrick will be 7th). He likes Teix's OBP in the 3 hole ahead of the other big bats.

I wish the rockies would make a move :( Your team is so lucky
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers