Teix to LAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teix to LAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Teix to LAA

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:59 am

This doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me for either team. The Angels didn't give up "fair value" for Teix. But they offered a better deal than Arizona did (IMO). I'd much rather have Kotchman than Tracy, and Owings is only slightly better than Marek IMO (Owings isn't doing too well in the majors right now, Marek's been pitching pretty well in AA)... Kotchman + Marek is certainly way better than a low first-round pick and a sandwich pick....

Kotchman is an above-average major league 1B. That's way better than a low first-round draft pick. Marek isn't that much worse than the sandwich pick.

Steal for the Angels, but the Braves got the best they could. Good job by both teams....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmudukes2008 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:17 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:This doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me for either team. The Angels didn't give up "fair value" for Teix. But they offered a better deal than Arizona did (IMO). I'd much rather have Kotchman than Tracy, and Owings is only slightly better than Marek IMO (Owings isn't doing too well in the majors right now, Marek's been pitching pretty well in AA)... Kotchman + Marek is certainly way better than a low first-round pick and a sandwich pick....

Kotchman is an above-average major league 1B. That's way better than a low first-round draft pick. Marek isn't that much worse than the sandwich pick.

Steal for the Angels, but the Braves got the best they could. Good job by both teams....

This is the best deal the Braves were offered...which makes sense when it comes to his contract.

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Re: Look Mr. Bubbles he's an Angel! (TEX)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 am

jswede wrote:
stumpak wrote:I think its funny that people are getting excited about Kotchman. This is a 1B with a .774 OPS. That must be in the bottom 10th percentile among MLB 1B. I would rather roll the dice with draft picks. What is the point of trading for someone that is substandard?

I can't believe that there was no one offerring a better deal.

That puts him at 20th in MLB. Not quite "bottom 10%". His BA is 9th best. He's 25 years old. He has all of ONE full MLB season under his belt.

What's funny is how he's been written off in this thread by some. Even more funny is how highly regarded the draft crapshoot is by some - like it's a done deal a first rounder becomes a great player. lol.

The Braves needed a 1B NOW. They wanted a pitching prospect. They got both. Further, they have Kotchman's upside locked up. That's more than you can hope for in a 1st round. Much more.

Why did they need a 1B NOW? They could just as easily have gotten a 3B in return and put that guy at 1B - any 3B can also play 1B just as well. In fact, they are punting the season - just put anyone there... who cares?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 am

Rosenthal is reporting that the Braves had a Tracy/Owings offer from Zona. I like LAA's offer better I think.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Look Mr. Bubbles he's an Angel! (TEX)

Postby decoy562 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:28 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
jswede wrote:
stumpak wrote:I think its funny that people are getting excited about Kotchman. This is a 1B with a .774 OPS. That must be in the bottom 10th percentile among MLB 1B. I would rather roll the dice with draft picks. What is the point of trading for someone that is substandard?

I can't believe that there was no one offerring a better deal.

That puts him at 20th in MLB. Not quite "bottom 10%". His BA is 9th best. He's 25 years old. He has all of ONE full MLB season under his belt.

What's funny is how he's been written off in this thread by some. Even more funny is how highly regarded the draft crapshoot is by some - like it's a done deal a first rounder becomes a great player. lol.

The Braves needed a 1B NOW. They wanted a pitching prospect. They got both. Further, they have Kotchman's upside locked up. That's more than you can hope for in a 1st round. Much more.

Why did they need a 1B NOW? They could just as easily have gotten a 3B in return and put that guy at 1B - any 3B can also play 1B just as well. In fact, they are punting the season - just put anyone there... who cares?

The Braves really had no other options at 1B. Scott Thorman? He flunked. I don't think anyone wants to see Greg Norton play every day. No options I know of in the minors. And the statement of "just put a 3B guy over there" is a dumb idea.

Finally, there is only one 1B on the market this winter...Teixera.

I think the Braves did the best they could in this situation and they got a decent 1B they have under contract for awhile.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 am

Kotchman is an above-average major league 1B.

I would strongly disagree with this. At best he is player with potential to be an average (not top 10, but 11th through 19th range) 1B. Hitting .290 with 25 HRs is not going to get him to "above average" stage and he's not quite there yet.

He does field the position very well, but MLB first basemen are hitters first and fielders second.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:39 am

hot4tx wrote:
Kotchman is an above-average major league 1B.

I would strongly disagree with this. At best he is player with potential to be an average (not top 10, but 11th through 19th range) 1B. Hitting .290 with 25 HRs is not going to get him to "above average" stage and he's not quite there yet.

He does field the position very well, but MLB first basemen are hitters first and fielders second.

As would I. He currently ranks 20th in OBP and 17th in SLG amonst MLB 1B. That is not above average.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:04 pm

I like this deal as an Angel fan, but I really hope they re-sign him. If not I don't know who will be our 1B next year. I assume it'll be Morales (I hope to god it's not Quinlan). If we only didn't sign Matthews to his contract we could probably rationalize paying Tex what he wants.

For those of you saying Kotchman isn't above average, I would disagree. If you look at his numbers you would come to a conclusion that he is so-so. If you watch him, you'll see he really is improving and has the potential to be a .300 30 guy in the bigs with a gold glove. I'm not saying he will ever get to this point, but it's definitely a possibility.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:I like this deal as an Angel fan, but I really hope they re-sign him. If not I don't know who will be our 1B next year. I assume it'll be Morales (I hope to god it's not Quinlan). If we only didn't sign Matthews to his contract we could probably rationalize paying Tex what he wants.

For those of you saying Kotchman isn't above average, I would disagree. If you look at his numbers you would come to a conclusion that he is so-so. If you watch him, you'll see he really is improving and has the potential to be a .300 30 guy in the bigs with a gold glove. I'm not saying he will ever get to this point, but it's definitely a possibility.

Maybe you guys can trade for Helton or Atkins or Kochanksky and send us some of that sweet sweet pitching
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Phatferd wrote:I like this deal as an Angel fan, but I really hope they re-sign him. If not I don't know who will be our 1B next year. I assume it'll be Morales (I hope to god it's not Quinlan). If we only didn't sign Matthews to his contract we could probably rationalize paying Tex what he wants.

If I were an LAA fan I would be very pleased with this deal. Kotchman hasn't shown the power yet to be a MLB 1B, and like you said his very top-end potential might be 30HRs. So far he's a Frank Catalanotto type. I think LAA will end up getting comparable if not better players out of the 2 draft picks than what they had to give up, making this deal really about paying Mark's salary for the final months. I don't think there's any way they resign him before he hits the FA market, but I definitely think this makes them the team to beat. IMO that's worth Kotchman.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers