Teix to LAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teix to LAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tex traded to the Angels for Kotchman +

Postby Leena » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Absolute steal for the Angels. ;-D

It's going to be weird seeing the Halos without a black hole in their lineup at 1B. Have to go back to the Mo Vaughn days.
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Look Mr. Bubbles he's an Angel! (TEX)

Postby DSheppard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:03 pm

as a rangers fan, this annoys me. how can they get teixeira without giving up a decent prospect. i wanted them to get tex but pay for it so it would help us next year.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Tex to Angels

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:10 pm

the Yanks are still the favorites to sign Tex regardless of where he plays his final 2 months. But the Angles definitely are a team with a chance to sign him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I think its funny that people are getting excited about Kotchman. This is a 1B with a .774 OPS. That must be in the bottom 10th percentile among MLB 1B. I would rather roll the dice with draft picks. What is the point of trading for someone that is substandard?

I can't believe that there was no one offerring a better deal.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leena » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Ummm, from reading his post and your posts.....it's not hard to figure out who it is that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, the guy not using BA, "30 HR potential" for Kotchman who hits a HR every 38 at-bats, "heart", and "fan favorite" in his argument.

Right? Right? Oh.
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Have any of you guys actually watched Kotchman play?
He is very decent and still young. Definitely better than Chad Tracy (one of the only other offers I've been hearing about)

The Braves were in spot where they needed to unload him or take their chances in the draft.
Obviously if they could have gotten more for Teixeira....THEY WOULD HAVE.
John Schuerholz, though no longer the acting GM, is still in the organization. They are going to make the best move they can. It cracks me up how so many people on here talk like they know more than an organization that won 13 Division tittles in a row. (We're not talking about a crap organization here. The Braves are run pretty well.)

MLB Trade Rumors.com
Mark Teixeira Traded To Angels
By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 4:51pm CST]

4:50pm: Jayson Stark has the scoop - Mark Teixeira is headed to the Angels for Casey Kotchman and another player. MLB.com's Lyle Spencer says the second player is relief prospect Stephen Marek.

Solid return for the Braves, certainly beats a couple of draft picks of unknown position. Kotchman is under team control through 2011.

The Braves basically got 80% or so of what Teixeira is, as well as a cheap player who is control until 2011.
They also got a young arm that I don't know too much about, so I can't speculate on.

I'm not saying the Angel's didn't get a good deal here too, of course they did. But I still believe the Braves got the best deal they could for him, and got better than the draft picks they would have gotten.
Last edited by Maris09 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby redjake » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Maris09 wrote:tittles

Woah, I almost reported you...
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 pm

stumpak wrote:I think its funny that people are getting excited about Kotchman. This is a 1B with a .774 OPS. That must be in the bottom 10th percentile among MLB 1B. I would rather roll the dice with draft picks. What is the point of trading for someone that is substandard?

That puts him at 20th in MLB. Not quite "bottom 10%". His BA is 9th best. He's 25 years old. He has all of ONE full MLB season under his belt.

What's funny is how he's been written off in this thread by some. Even more funny is how highly regarded the draft crapshoot is by some - like it's a done deal a first rounder becomes a great player. lol.

The Braves needed a 1B NOW. They wanted a pitching prospect. They got both. Further, they have Kotchman's upside locked up. That's more than you can hope for in a 1st round. Much more.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Maris09 wrote:It cracks me up how so many people on here talk like they know more than an organization that won 13 Division tittles in a row. (We're not talking about a crap organization here. The Braves are run pretty well.)

It cracks me up they you don't expect people to armchair GM on a fantasy baseball site. This is what we do. :-)

The Braves have been run pretty well but they're not perfect. This off-season they pretty much crapped the bed by handing the Mets two draft picks for Glavine when there was no need. So let's not make out like they're infallible. Kotchman just isn't that great and since the Braves draft well a 1st and mid-round is pretty valuable. It's not like .750 OPS 1B are that rare.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 pm

jswede wrote:
stumpak wrote:I think its funny that people are getting excited about Kotchman. This is a 1B with a .774 OPS. That must be in the bottom 10th percentile among MLB 1B. I would rather roll the dice with draft picks. What is the point of trading for someone that is substandard?

That puts him at 20th in MLB. Not quite "bottom 10%". His BA is 9th best. He's 25 years old. He has all of ONE full MLB season under his belt.

What's funny is how he's been written off in this thread by some. Even more funny is how highly regarded the draft crapshoot is by some - like it's a done deal a first rounder becomes a great player. lol.

The Braves needed a 1B NOW. They wanted a pitching prospect. They got both. Further, they have Kotchman's upside locked up. That's more than you can hope for in a 1st round. Much more.

Well put.
I'm sure the Braves felt the same way.
The funny thing is that draft picks always tend to be over-rated in the Cafe, people tend to forget that flops come a long a lot more often then good everyday players.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers