Teix to LAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teix to LAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tex traded to the Angels for Kotchman +

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm

acsguitar wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:I don't get why people like Kotchman. Is a .775 OPS and ~20 HR really what you want from your 1b?

I still believe the smoke and mirrors the Angels are winning with will come crashing down. Rotation build around inexperienced pitchers who have never thrown full seasons plus playoffs, and a run diff that's not nearly what teams in the AL East have.

yea I've never been a huge kotchman fan either. seems that the Angels always come up with failures once their Minor Leaguers hit the pro's.

All of their farm teams are in extreme hitters leagues so their numbers get inflated.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kotchman pulled from Starting Lineup (Possible Tex Trade)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Does this move help the fantasy value of Tex?

More hitters parks in his division, better pitching etc....

Honestly i think it slightly hurts his value. The last 40 HR hitter for the Angels was back in 2001. Teix has been lucky enough to play in two pretty solid power parks thus far in his career. Now that he's entering more of a pitching ballpark I see his numbers taking a slight decline.

I think Angel Stadium is more neutral than it being one that slants pitching by a fair margin like Dodger Stadium does. I don't believe he'll be deterred by the ball not carrying well at home night games given his power.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:I don't get why people like Kotchman. Is a .775 OPS and ~20 HR really what you want from your 1b?

I still believe the smoke and mirrors the Angels are winning with will come crashing down. Rotation build around inexperienced pitchers who have never thrown full seasons plus playoffs, and a run diff that's not nearly what teams in the AL East have.

yea I've never been a huge kotchman fan either. seems that the Angels always come up with failures once their Minor Leaguers hit the pro's.

Remember the Dalas McPherson hype train?

Yep exactly. And Howie "Injured always" Kendrick
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Think Vlad will see better pitches now? He had already started heating up so I see big 2nd half from him. Think I will try to get him.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:26 pm

He has one of the better gloves in the game and brings a LOT of heart to a team. Kotch has without a doubt been one of the fan favorites here in Halo town.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:28 pm

sblinyy wrote:
He hits for a good average, has decent pop, and has a good glove. If I were a manager of a team I would be satisfied with that type of player as my 1st basemen.

First, 1b is probably the easiest fielding position on the diamond. The idea is to stick some blob there who mashes and couldn't play an actual fielding position.

Second, Kotchman has never hit .300 and his OBP is below league average.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:30 pm

JTWood wrote:
Amazinz wrote:If I'm Atlanta and this is the best I can get, I would have just taken the draft picks at the end of the season. (I say this w/o knowing much about Marek...)

I agree. If these reports are right, this is a shockingly bad deal, and I'm surprised another team couldn't beat it.

this is what happens when you insist on getting a MLB 1B back in the deal. they effectively narrowed the possible list of possible trade matches to almost nothing. And got Kotchman back.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Considering the position the Braves were in, I don't think Kotchman + a prospect arm was a bad deal at all.

I actually like Kotchman.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:31 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:

He has one of the better gloves in the game and brings a LOT of heart to a team. Kotch has without a doubt been one of the fan favorites here in Halo town.

Jamey Carrol has tons of heart and is loved by his teammates. However, he's no Tex
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:31 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
sblinyy wrote:
He hits for a good average, has decent pop, and has a good glove. If I were a manager of a team I would be satisfied with that type of player as my 1st basemen.

First, 1b is probably the easiest fielding position on the diamond. The idea is to stick some blob there who mashes and couldn't play an actual fielding position.

Second, Kotchman has never hit .300 and his OBP is below league average.

This is only his 2nd full season, and he hit .296 last season
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers