I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tex traded to the Angels for Kotchman +

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:12 pm

If I'm Atlanta and this is the best I can get, I would have just taken the draft picks at the end of the season. (I say this w/o knowing much about Marek...)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Kotchman pulled from Starting Lineup (Possible Tex Trade)

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:Does this move help the fantasy value of Tex?

More hitters parks in his division, better pitching etc....

Honestly i think it slightly hurts his value. The last 40 HR hitter for the Angels was back in 2001. Teix has been lucky enough to play in two pretty solid power parks thus far in his career. Now that he's entering more of a pitching ballpark I see his numbers taking a slight decline.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:13 pm

The speculation stemmed from an LA Times article this morning. It sounded more serious than usual that Tony Reagins would strongly consider packaging Kotchman for Big Tex. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have believed it given that the Angels front office historically hasn't been a stickler for one-year rentals especially with Kotchman being a solid defensive 1B to go with a 20 HR bat.

They've changed their tune though, check it out:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tra ... 6166.story

The Angels didn't have to fork up either Adenhart, Saunders, or Ervin Santana. Just a lesser known farm hand packaged with Kotchman supposedly. That's a huge steal and I wouldn't rule out the Angels re-signing him.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:14 pm

I don't get why people like Kotchman. Is a .775 OPS and ~20 HR really what you want from your 1b?

I still believe the smoke and mirrors the Angels are winning with will come crashing down. Rotation build around inexperienced pitchers who have never thrown full seasons plus playoffs, and a run diff that's not nearly what teams in the AL East have.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I don't get why people like Kotchman. Is a .775 OPS and ~20 HR really what you want from your 1b?

I still believe the smoke and mirrors the Angels are winning with will come crashing down. Rotation build around inexperienced pitchers who have never thrown full seasons plus playoffs, and a run diff that's not nearly what teams in the AL East have.

Yeah Kotch is not that great as a 1B.

Halos are 18-10 against the East FWIW.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sblinyy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I don't get why people like Kotchman. Is a .775 OPS and ~20 HR really what you want from your 1b?

He hits for a good average, has decent pop, and has a good glove. If I were a manager of a team I would be satisfied with that type of player as my 1st basemen.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:19 pm

yea I've never been a huge kotchman fan either. seems that the Angels always come up with failures once their Minor Leaguers hit the pro's.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:20 pm

acsguitar wrote:

yea I've never been a huge kotchman fan either. seems that the Angels always come up with failures once their Minor Leaguers hit the pro's.

Remember the Dalas McPherson hype train?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby JTWood » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:If I'm Atlanta and this is the best I can get, I would have just taken the draft picks at the end of the season. (I say this w/o knowing much about Marek...)

I agree. If these reports are right, this is a shockingly bad deal, and I'm surprised another team couldn't beat it.

Is it safe to assume that Tex will be batting behind Vlad?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers