Best Prospects for 2009 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Best Prospects for 2009

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Prospects for 2009

Postby dragoon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Who do you guys think are the best prospects/callups for 2009? Laporta, Wieters, Price are big ones, but who else should make a mark next season?
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Prospects for 2009

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:19 am

Matt Laporta

Matt Gamel

Brett Anderson (Oak SP, lefty) could be in a Kershaw situation next year. He's about the same age now and is doing great in AA. Baseball America's 16th best prospect.

Gio Gonzalez

Wade Davis...could be up later this year

Austin Jackson, some say, will get a cup of coffee w/ the Yanks in Sept.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Montana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 am

Trevor Cahill could get a look at some point.........Pedro Alvarez could also make an appearance before the season is out next year.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:50 am

with the way things are looking colby rasmus could be next years top prospect. he figures to be the best prospect in the minors right now but he has been blocked at the majors by the emergence of rick ankiel in CF. he has also recently been plagued with injuries. he had a groin issue that kept him out the futures game and he had another injury that has put him out for the next month, as a result missing the olympic games. he figures to be a slightly better than corey hart type fantasy player with the ability to be a 30-30 guy. i hope he gets the september call-up but it has been a dissappointing year for the cards' best prospect.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Montana168 wrote:with the way things are looking colby rasmus could be next years top prospect. he figures to be the best prospect in the minors right now but he has been blocked at the majors by the emergence of rick ankiel in CF. he has also recently been plagued with injuries. he had a groin issue that kept him out the futures game and he had another injury that has put him out for the next month, as a result missing the olympic games. he figures to be a slightly better than corey hart type fantasy player with the ability to be a 30-30 guy. i hope he gets the september call-up but it has been a dissappointing year for the cards' best prospect.

Good Call......I'd say Rasmus and Maybin, could be 1 and 2 respectfully.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Montana wrote:
Montana168 wrote:with the way things are looking colby rasmus could be next years top prospect. he figures to be the best prospect in the minors right now but he has been blocked at the majors by the emergence of rick ankiel in CF. he has also recently been plagued with injuries. he had a groin issue that kept him out the futures game and he had another injury that has put him out for the next month, as a result missing the olympic games. he figures to be a slightly better than corey hart type fantasy player with the ability to be a 30-30 guy. i hope he gets the september call-up but it has been a dissappointing year for the cards' best prospect.

Maybin won't beat out Price, Wieters, or LaPorta for the number 1 or two spot, and Rasmus probably won't either. If Kershaw keeps his eligibility that is another guy above those two.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Amatter32 wrote:
Montana wrote:

Maybin won't beat out Price, Wieters, or LaPorta for the number 1 or two spot, and Rasmus probably won't either. If Kershaw keeps his eligibility that is another guy above those two.

You expect Price, Wieters and La Porta to be 1, 2, and 3 in Baseball Prospectus rankings for 09?
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Montana wrote:
Amatter32 wrote:
Montana wrote:

You expect Price, Wieters and La Porta to be 1, 2, and 3 in Baseball Prospectus rankings for 09?

I didn't say that, I said I expect Maybin to be absent in the top two spots, possibly even 5. Where do you see him ranked right now?
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:41 am

Amatter32 wrote:
I didn't say that, I said I expect Maybin to be absent in the top two spots, possibly even 5. Where do you see him ranked right now?

Right now, I'd probably rank him right around 5th or 6th.......but given his track record, and his skill set, I don't think i'd ever say it's impossible for him to jump 3 or 4 spots over the last couple months.

Also, in terms of the initial question of top prospects/call ups for 09, I think both Price and La Porta could find themselves with starting spots next year, if they don't both get a shot at some point this year.

Of course the same could be said for both Maybin and Rasmus......but I think both will be call ups next season, as opposed to starting the season with their respective clubs.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Cabby » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 am

What is the ETA of Dexter Fowler. He should be up sometime next year possibly. He is going to be a great all around player I think. There is some injury concern with him. Anyone have thoughts on him?
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball