Melange of Strategy and Philosophy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melange of Strategy and Philosophy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Melange of Strategy and Philosophy

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Ok, so I am in a hotly contested league with steals, except the bottom two teams are pathetic in the category, because they both punted at the same time to get prospects for next year. I am currently debating whether to trade off my closers to both knock down my competition and try and improve elsewhere, hang on and hope, or just hang on, while realizing I might not improve. The principals don't really matter, other than I am 35 saves ahead of the person behind me, and 40 ahead of the last person. I have 5 closers, would just keep one in case of emergency and trade the rest. The leader of the league leads the next two teams (who are tied by 23), and has three closers. I am behind by two from getting one point, would need 5 to get two, and make up 10 to get three/four, but that is way unlikely.

So without getting into specifics, what would you guys do, and what do you usually do? I am safe with the position I have. I have the same amount of closers as the guy immediately ahead of me. Do I hold out for that point, or do I divest of mine, and try and scare the other teams. This would involve not taking full value, of course, but the value might be expressed in the standings. So, philosophically, what is the traditional move here?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melange of Strategy and Philosophy

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:39 pm

great gretzky wrote:Ok, so I am in a hotly contested league with steals, except the bottom two teams are pathetic in the category, because they both punted at the same time to get prospects for next year. I am currently debating whether to trade off my closers to both knock down my competition and try and improve elsewhere, hang on and hope, or just hang on, while realizing I might not improve. The principals don't really matter, other than I am 35 saves ahead of the person behind me, and 40 ahead of the last person. I have 5 closers, would just keep one in case of emergency and trade the rest. The leader of the league leads the next two teams (who are tied by 23), and has three closers. I am behind by two from getting one point, would need 5 to get two, and make up 10 to get three/four, but that is way unlikely.

So without getting into specifics, what would you guys do, and what do you usually do? I am safe with the position I have. I have the same amount of closers as the guy immediately ahead of me. Do I hold out for that point, or do I divest of mine, and try and scare the other teams. This would involve not taking full value, of course, but the value might be expressed in the standings. So, philosophically, what is the traditional move here?

OK - that kind of made my head hurt a bit (your first sentence says "steals" but I think you mean "saves") but if I got your gist, you think that at best you can move up 2 points in saves and you have virtually no risk of losing any points in saves since you are so far ahead of the next guy. I'm not sure why you mentioned the leader of the league and his lead...

Anyhow, if my assessment is correct, then I'd do as you said... trade them all off because two points aren't worth it and you can easily make up those points elsewhere. I'd try to trade them to guys who can hurt your main competition overall (by jumping over him in saves) and I'd try to get guys back who can help you in categories you are close in elsewhere.

EDIT: also, don't be so sure that you won't get full value - if you trade to the right guy(s) who are desperate for saves, you can do very well. And even if not, value is very subjective at this point - its all about needs and the standings.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Re: Melange of Strategy and Philosophy

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:50 pm

I meant saves. i mentioned the leader because IF I traded the saves to the two teams trailing him by 20, or traded one team two closers, it might scare him into wanting another.

thing is, I lead in runs, hr, rbi. I could move up some in steals, but I am at the point of having a hard time fitting them in without sacrificing what I have -- i'd need to work steals into a CI or catcher position. I lead in wins as well. So its going after ratios, saves or knocking others down. It really is a conundrum as I don't want to mess it up. But making up more than two points in SAVES is patently unrealistic I think.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers