John Maine's workload - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

John Maine's workload

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Maine's workload

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Does anybody know what's going on with this guy? He essentially cruised through 4 tonight, gave up a homer and was pulled early in the 5th with not a whole lot of pitches thrown

This makes like the 4th or 5th outing very recently where he has failed to go six innings, and in a couple of those outings he really wasn't even struggling...

I really don't appreciate the way he's being handled
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: John Maine's workload

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 pm

jcook3127 wrote:Does anybody know what's going on with this guy? He essentially cruised through 4 tonight, gave up a homer and was pulled early in the 5th with not a whole lot of pitches thrown

This makes like the 4th or 5th outing very recently where he has failed to go six innings, and in a couple of those outings he really wasn't even struggling...

I really don't appreciate the way he's being handled

He was apparently pulled because of an injury.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh alright..that makes more sense....man, he's been very frustrating lately...was a guy I thought would be 3.6-3.8 for me consistently this year...
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rp723 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 pm

:~(

from rotoworld:

John Maine came out of Monday's game because of right shoulder tightness.
Better now than after the trade deadline, we suppose. The Mets are short on rotation alternatives if Maine has to go on the disabled list, but they could patch things together for a couple of weeks. One interesting option would be trying Aaron Heilman after he threw three innings and 57 pitches Saturday, but that's probably not going to happen.
rp723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

There was an article last week on espn that detailed pitcher's workloads over the year

John Maine was one of the pitchers being worked the hardest..

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/base ... =pwn080722.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmudukes2008 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:14 am

My stepfather father told me a few days ago, I think Saturday, that he had seen John Maine when he went for his accupuncture appointment in Connecticut. That night we debated at the dinner table over why he was getting acupuncture...and we came to the conclusion that it must be because of the "dead arm" he had complained about experiencing 3 or 4 starts ago...then he gets pulled last night. As a Mets fan this really concerns me...yea, something is definitely not right. :-o

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Maine is being skipped in the rotation once and then will start next FRI against the fish.

Fish on Friday! Haha couldn't resist.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:18 am

Recommendation: Maine had no life on his fastball Monday, as his velocity was mainly in the 88-92 range, down 4-8 ticks from where he normally is. Pitching coach Dan Warthen said that Maine will likely be in that range the rest of the season and he maybe capped at five to six innings in most starts, unless his pitch count is very low. The Mets have few off-days the rest of the way, so don't look for Maine to receive extra rest before most starts, meaning that he will need to rely on his other pitches and find a way to gut it out in each outing; not always a recipe for success.

What do you guys think of Maine's value now? I'm kinda worried about him for the playoffs...thinking of grabbing Myers or J. Johnson. Maine's numbers have been ok since he's been back...but @WAS and against PIT offense without Bay and Nady
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mgblues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 pm

[/quote]What do you guys think of Maine's value now? I'm kinda worried about him for the playoffs...thinking of grabbing Myers or J. Johnson. Maine's numbers have been ok since he's been back...but @WAS and against PIT offense without Bay and Nady[/quote]

I don't know about long-term but after he single-handedly destroyed both my ERA & WHIP categories for the week tonight... I'm not feeling the love. The reduced velocity, admission that he is constantly feeling pain in his shoulder & the inexplicable fact that they let him pitch over 100 pitches after the game was well out-of-hand tells me that there is something wrong & the Mets have accepted the fact that he isn't going to be the same pitcher. I'm actually trying to decide if I want to drop him to pick up Jesse Litsch or someone comparable on the wire.

I don't think you can trust Maine right now. Something more than the DL stint is going on right now... probably come out in next few days.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago... we've got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark & we're wearing sunglasses...

Hit it."
mgblues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:49 pm

I watched the highlights from ESPN and unless my eyes are completely bad, Maine was throwing in the 94-96 MPH range :-?
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates