Is this the downfall of Google? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Is this the downfall of Google?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is this the downfall of Google?

Postby thedude » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
bigken117 wrote:I'm impressed. ;-7 I also made a spelling error when typing in the URL and got an Italian pr0n site. Sucked since I'm at work, but at least I have something to do when I get home :-B

I just got 800k hits on fantasy baseball. :-?

Do you work for google ken?

I got 2.48 million results and it automatically let me select it after typing "fant".
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Just tried a few searches. Nothing really noteworthy. What it does that differentiates it from Google is that it can categorize search criteria into directories (like what Yahoo's system used to be comprised of in the mid-to-late 90's). It's a good idea especially when you give it a broad search but should you want to narrow it, you have options. One thing they should do is a full page preview, which I think Ask does, simply because a block of text that resembles a site's content doesn't quite catch the eye.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:15 pm

The Cafe is Cuil's #1 hit for the search 'fantasy baseball'. We've fallen to #3 on Google. Go Cuil.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby RyanK » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

as long as google is still in my top right corner im going to be using that majority of the time....
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm not crazy about the way the results are displayed. Google is much more simple. And I see no image search, which as a graphics guy, is very important to me.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:43 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I'm not crazy about the way the results are displayed. Google is much more simple. And I see no image search, which as a graphics guy, is very important to me.

Agreed on the image search part. Hmmm, I like Googles simple list - the way Cuil has like a box type listing format annoys me, though the summaries of the pages is really nice and could be a nice reason to use it occasionally over google. Cuil seems to have a lot of potential. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Hmmm.
Typing Google is a lot easier than Cuil.
I just believe Google will be one tough giant to take down.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Allegedly the background of Cuil is supposed to be the bee's knees. It's supposed to be some great new method of searching, but quite frankly, I don't care what they've got under the hood - it's all about the results for me. Maybe in a few weeks/months when they get the kinks ironed out it'll be OK, but a couple of key points that were just brought up kill Cuil for me, too:

Bad arrangement of information. I don't want a magazine layout, I want information - the faster and easier the better.

No images. Bleck. Whose brain child was that? Are you kidding me? No pics? Half the Internet is 90% visual, and the rest you've got to see to believe! You have to have image search. Have to.

Google has mastered the principles of K.I.S.S. and that's why they'll still be kings of search in the foreseeable future.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 am

Cuil was horrible. A complete letdown. I read this article on Yahoo earlier today and thought it was some revolutionary search engine, and it couldn't come up with results for simple searches.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Google's own growth is about the only thing that will be the end of it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk