What are you guys doing w/ Bedard? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

What are you guys doing w/ Bedard?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What are you guys doing w/ Bedard?

Postby harold_bush » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Roster spots are getting tight, and I'm giving thought to dropping him. He has been nothing more than average all year anyway. I've read some speculation that he could now be out until September. Who knows, but he isn't even throwing, and from the time he starts throwing and has a rehab assignment, we are probably looking at a 2-3 weeks at a minimum. Seattle is awful and playing for nothing, so there is no reason to rush him back. He also won't be traded prior to the deadline b/c he is hurt.

Thoughts?
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What are you guys doing w/ Bedard?

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:59 pm

harold_bush wrote:Roster spots are getting tight, and I'm giving thought to dropping him. He has been nothing more than average all year anyway. I've read some speculation that he could now be out until September. Who knows, but he isn't even throwing, and from the time he starts throwing and has a rehab assignment, we are probably looking at a 2-3 weeks at a minimum. Seattle is awful and playing for nothing, so there is no reason to rush him back. He also won't be traded prior to the deadline b/c he is hurt.

Thoughts?

Trading him away for nothing instead of dropping him outright. Desperate times if you are in the back of the pack and it would be stupid to drop him if he will indeed come back at some point. I say package him in a trade with someone else and see what you can get.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knuckler » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:43 am

jdsun1 wrote:
harold_bush wrote:Roster spots are getting tight, and I'm giving thought to dropping him. He has been nothing more than average all year anyway. I've read some speculation that he could now be out until September. Who knows, but he isn't even throwing, and from the time he starts throwing and has a rehab assignment, we are probably looking at a 2-3 weeks at a minimum. Seattle is awful and playing for nothing, so there is no reason to rush him back. He also won't be traded prior to the deadline b/c he is hurt.

Thoughts?

Trading him away for nothing instead of dropping him outright. Desperate times if you are in the back of the pack and it would be stupid to drop him if he will indeed come back at some point. I say package him in a trade with someone else and see what you can get.

I agree, package him. I had him in my AL-keeper league and was lucky enough to trade him off. I just picked him up in a Yahoo league a few weeks ago and am waiting for him to come back.

any thoughts here: viewtopic.php?t=358792
knuckler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tolleyjenkins » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:38 pm

A playoff spot is pretty much assured for me so I'm just holding onto him in hopes he can get me a couple of goods starts in the playoffs.
tolleyjenkins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:57 pm

tolleyjenkins wrote:A playoff spot is pretty much assured for me so I'm just holding onto him in hopes he can get me a couple of goods starts in the playoffs.

Yeah, this is my stance as well. If you play in a competitive enough league, nobody is going to pay much of anything for him. Now, if you can put a trade together where he is a "throw-in" then maybe you can get something done. I just wouldn't expect a whole lot for him.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Millcity_Maniac » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 am

He has been rotting away on my leaugues FA/WW list since I released him. I dropped him once he hit the DL again. No one has even looked at him yet.

If you can package him I would say go for it.
Millcity_Maniac
College Coach
College Coach

Postby harold_bush » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am

Yeah, no way I'm getting anything for him, asnd we aren't a H2H league so no playoffs. My problem is that I've gotten down at C, SS, and 3B in games played, and I'm neding all available roster spots to pickup players for off days to get caught back up.

THis is a very competitive league, and someone will likely pick him up, and that is my fear.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ShawshankVA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:14 pm

so consensus is if H2H playoffs...stash him if possible, and hope for a playoff re-appearance?

question: Wainwright or Bedard? who is the better stash?

still no definitive word if Wainy will close or start when he comes back, and his rehab appearance was just pushed back after a bad bullpen session. that and sounds like Bedard just hates Seattle...and wont do anything to get back on mound unless 100% healthy.
ShawshankVA
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckbillgates » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Update from Sportsline, note what I bolded:

Bedard throws in outfield

News: Mariners SP Erik Bedard tested his balky left shoulder Sunday, throwing in the outfield for about 10 minutes. Bedard had not thrown on the field since July 4, when he threw 99 pitches over five innings in a win over Detroit. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list July 10 with a tight shoulder, and an MRI showed no additional damage in his pitching shoulder. Bedard made 30 throws from 60 feet Sunday in the first extensive throwing session since going on the DL. He threw briefly in the batting cages under Safeco Field once last month, but had not done any lengthy throwing. Bedard told the Baltimore Sun and MLB.com on Saturday he hoped to pitch in a couple of games before the end of the season.

Analysis: Bedard has disappointed with a 6-4 record and 3.67 ERA in 15 starts this season, but his injuries have frustrated Fantasy owners more than anything else. Still, his potential makes him worth stashing in all leagues.

Hoped to pitch in a couple of games before the end of the season? I've been clinging, but I think he's definitely droppable now.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates