Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Harden, glavin or leiter

Postby jdt1519 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:56 pm

Who will have the better year
jdt1519

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:13 pm

I'd go with Leiter. Nothing in the numbers or on the field to suggest that he's on the decline. Injuries are always a concern, but if he stays healthy he's solid.

Stick a fork in Glavine. Check out that K rate from last year. Less than 1 every 2 innings. He's toast.

Harden is overhyped due to the success of A's pitchers past. Still very young and working out some control and other issues. The breakout year will come eventually, but probably not this year.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:47 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:Stick a fork in Glavine. Check out that K rate from last year. Less than 1 every 2 innings. He's toast.

Considering that Glavine is not a strikeout pitcher, that's a pretty useless analysis. Glavine has always had success by making batters hit his pitch. I think he'll have a much better year this year now that he actually has some good gloves behind him.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bell » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:54 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Spartans Rule wrote:Stick a fork in Glavine. Check out that K rate from last year. Less than 1 every 2 innings. He's toast.

Considering that Glavine is not a strikeout pitcher, that's a pretty useless analysis. Glavine has always had success by making batters hit his pitch. I think he'll have a much better year this year now that he actually has some good gloves behind him.

It's not totally useless considering strikeouts matter in fantasy baseball. Glavine being toast is another matter.

Leiter's second half in 2003 gives me confidence that he can put up a solid 2004.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:56 pm

bell wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:

It's not totally useless considering strikeouts matter in fantasy baseball. Glavine being toast is another matter.

Leiter's second half in 2003 gives me confidence that he can put up a solid 2004.

Its a useless analysis as far as it applies to Glavine. He's not "toast" - that was your analysis. If the point you were trying to make is that he's not a top tier fantasy starter because he can only help you in wins, ERA and WHIP, then you should express yourself better.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:01 pm

Leiter by default.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:01 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
bell wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:

Its a useless analysis as far as it applies to Glavine. He's not "toast" - that was your analysis. If the point you were trying to make is that he's not a top tier fantasy starter because he can only help you in wins, ERA and WHIP, then you should express yourself better.

Leiter Fan, I would suggest reading a little closer and seeing who claimed what.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Considering that Glavine is not a strikeout pitcher, that's a pretty useless analysis. Glavine has always had success by making batters hit his pitch.

He at least struck out a respectable number before last year. Now he's down in Brian Anderson - Kirk Rueter territory. That'd be fine if there was a corresponding reduction in his walk rate, but there isn't.

I see nothing in Glavine's numbers to suggest he was just down on his luck last year. This year will be ugly.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:11 pm

im biased but im goin harden. there is no way he is overhyped, he has stuff to match the guys on that staff and he will only be better this year.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:23 pm

RynMan wrote:im biased but im goin harden. there is no way he is overhyped, he has stuff to match the guys on that staff and he will only be better this year.

In the past 4 seasons over 70% of rookie starting pitchers have declined in their second seasons. :~(
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers