Raffy Perez could become Indians Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Raffy Perez could become Indians Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Raffy Perez could become Indians Closer

Postby nateb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I don't know anything other than being an Indians fan. Koby has sucked since becoming the closer and Perez scored the save last night. Look for Perez to take over the closer role soon. It's no secret that Raffy Perez is held in high regard by the Indians FO and this might be the time for him to take over.

If you can grab Raffy Perez off the WW, it might not be a bad idea. I'm sure Wedge will platoon the two for a while but Perez is the better pitcher and should take over soon, especially with Koby struggling in the closer role.
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Raffy Perez could become Indians Closer

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I think that you might be reading too much into last night's save. Kobayashi got roughed up and Perez was brought in for a lefty/lefty matchup (the Twins PH Lamb, the Indians brought in Perez, the Twins PH Redmond for Lamb). I would not be surprised to see the Indians go with a close by committee using Kobayashi against RHB and Perez against LHB. Which is what they should have done last night and had Perez face Mauer and Morneau to start the 9th.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nateb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm speculating a little. However, Koby hasn't been very good of late giving up 2 runs in two of his last 3 appearances. He's also coming up on his max innings total for the past 4 years.

Perez has actually pitched fairly well of late.

Due to the circumstances I think Perez could take it over. Maybe I'm reaching but we'll see.
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jswede » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Masa is no better than Borowski. What a disappointment. This said, the Indians are getting close to the point where it won't matter anymore -- and since they know what Raffy can do, so they may just give Masa the ball to close here out to see if he develops into the guy they thought they signed. 2009 is a different story.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nateb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Part of my speculation is also hope. Masa is not a guy who can give you 40 saves in a season if he has a 54 inning/appearance max. The Indians needs to figure out if Raffy Perez can do it. If he can't then we know we need to pursue one via free agency or our farm system.

Masa is not a MLB closer, period and he shouldn't just be given the ball for the rest of the year because he's "vet".
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Masa has been solid this season, and quite a bit better then Borowski, i'm sure he has a long leash at the moment. He struggled last night and Perez picked up the slack, easy as that.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:28 pm

There was a blurb posted somewhere (the closers thread in Baseball Leftovers, I think) stating that the Indians would be careful with Kobayashi going forward, since he's already equaled his innings total from last year (in Japan, of course), and there are still quite a few games left to go. That plus the fact that Kobayashi just gives me the heebie jeebies has made me think of dropping Kobayashi for Perez.

No, I haven't done it yet, and yes, I realize how silly that would be on paper. I'm just saying...it's crossed my mind.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby nateb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 am

I wouldn't say Koby has been solid. I don't think a 6.14 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 6 Ks, 2 saves in 7.1 innings is solid. Average? Adequate? Maybe.

Like was mentioned, he's approaching his innings limit so he'll be used sparingly anyway.

The Indians are in a mode to figure out what will help them win next season. Koby at closer is not in that formula. I think they'll give Perez one more shot this season.

To add:

Perez in the last month has posted a 2.53 ERA, 0.66 WHIP, 1 save, 7 Ks, in 10.2 innings.
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nateb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Just as soon as I give Raffy Perez props he blows up in the 9th. Oh well.
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates