Is there any chance of this happening? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there any chance of this happening?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is there any chance of this happening?

Postby Zito is God » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:10 pm

The Newark Star-Ledger's Dan Graziano reports Toronto Blue Jays SP Roy Halladay is unhappy in Toronto and has let management know it. The front office has done quiet surveying of teams, such as the St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers, to see what they could get for Halladay.

I simply cannot see Halladay getting dealt but it would basically make my fantasy team the favorite if he went to a team where the batters actually use bats instead of toothpicks to swing. I give it a 5% chance of happening, thoughts?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is there any chance of this happening?

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Zito is God wrote:
The Newark Star-Ledger's Dan Graziano reports Toronto Blue Jays SP Roy Halladay is unhappy in Toronto and has let management know it. The front office has done quiet surveying of teams, such as the St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers, to see what they could get for Halladay.

I simply cannot see Halladay getting dealt but it would basically make my fantasy team the favorite if he went to a team where the batters actually use bats instead of toothpicks to swing. I give it a 5% chance of happening, thoughts?

LOL! I think if he is truly unhappy and wants to be traded, that it is at least worth a 25% chance. I haven't heard much about this to be honest, but it wouldn't be that surprising to see him get dealt to a contender one of these years - why not now? :-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ursa » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 pm

Halladay unhappy in Toronto but continuing to post more complete games this season than some entire divisions.

Ramirez unhappy in Boston but won't even drag his lard ass on the field and if he does, he doesn't bother trying.

Which of these two would a GM rather have.....and which is harder to find?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ataraxia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Zito is God wrote:

Considering how Halladay's aging and how the team looks like it's in shambles, they could use Halladay's very impressive season to get some pieces to put them in a more favorable position for the future.
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Agreed. That said, I don't think the Dodgers or the Cardinals are a good fit for Halladay. The Dodgers are in the midst of a youth movement and won't contend seriously for a few years, and the Cardinals are on the cusp of a rebuilding era.

What's Halladay's contract look like, btw?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby jbernstein011 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:23 pm

i hope he comes to st.louis but i don't think the birds need any SP help just a new closer
jbernstein011
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Agreed. That said, I don't think the Dodgers or the Cardinals are a good fit for Halladay. The Dodgers are in the midst of a youth movement and won't contend seriously for a few years, and the Cardinals are on the cusp of a rebuilding era.

Are we talking about the same teams and year? The Dodgers didnt go buy that bum Andruw Jones and stud Joe Torre to rebuild. They have been trying and are going to win the NL West and Halladay makes absolute perfect sense. They are overloaded with young bucks to trade for him. And last i checked the cusp of a rebuilding year is not a rebuilding year. They are contending right now and getting Carpenter back could be very helpful. I dont know who they could trade since I hate them and dont follow them but it would be good for them.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Agreed, the Cardinals are very much in contention this year, and adding a pitcher of the caliber of Halladay makes perfect sense seeing as how the Brewers got CC and the Cubs got Harden. As a Dodger fan, I honestly don't see how adding Holladay helps us that significantly. We already have solid starting pitching in Billingsley, Lowe, Kuroda, Brad Penny, and Clayton Kershaw (give Kershaw some time, he'll rock). In relief, we've got reliable arms in Broxton, Saito, Hong-Chi Kuo, and Chan Ho Park. What we need is a Holliday, not a Halladay.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Zito is God wrote:

It's less. All of these rumours originate from a conversation Halladay had with Toronto reporters at the All-Star Game where he said he was frustrated with the consistent mediocrity every year. He didn't say anything about wanting out of Toronto, and has clarified that quite a few times in the media already. He even said that he's be open to a contract extension at the end of the year, and doesn't want to have to join a team like New York or Boston to win where winning is already firmly in place every year.

Also, Paul Godfrey, the president of the organization, came out and said Halladay is the "Derek Jeter of the Toronto Blue Jays." Godfrey with his political background seems to know the kind of effect a trade like this would have on Toronto's fanbase. The trade would be an awful sell to people, and it would kill nearly 50% of it, and there isn't that much left to begin with anyway. As long as he's here and making the decisions above JP's head, Halladay is going nowhere, even for an amazing package.

And can you imagine what kind of package it would even take to get Halladay? Why would a team that's trying to contend this year and for the foreseeable future trade him just for prospects? He's probably the best pitcher in the American League, if not the majors, and if they have plans to win, trading him away is not the best option. I'd imagine it would take atleast an Evan Longoria type, in addition to several other major league players, for this team to even consider trading the "Derek Jeter" of the franchise. Would any team in baseball be able to offer that?

This team isn't a small market seller, and their team isn't in shambles. Their 3rd order record is still quite good compared to the rest of the league, and really, they've always been one big hitter (Barry Bonds?) away from contending this season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:54 pm

LostInTheSauce wrote:

Are we talking about the same teams and year? The Dodgers didnt go buy that bum Andruw Jones and stud Joe Torre to rebuild. They have been trying and are going to win the NL West and Halladay makes absolute perfect sense. They are overloaded with young bucks to trade for him. And last i checked the cusp of a rebuilding year is not a rebuilding year. They are contending right now and getting Carpenter back could be very helpful. I dont know who they could trade since I hate them and dont follow them but it would be good for them.

The Dodgers will contend in the NL West, but there's AAA teams that could contend in the NL West. They'd be better served taking the lumps for now and building to contend for '10 or later. Their core is years away from peaking and they still have some young players with high ceilings who have yet to see significant major league playing time. They could go all out now, but realistically, even if they do get Halladay (by trading Andy LaRoche + 2 or something), they don't stand a chance against stronger teams in the NL playoffs. They'd be lucky to make it past the first round. Now let their young players develop for a few years and keep major players from leaving and they could come back in a couple years much stronger than they would be with Halladay on board this year. Maybe if Jones played up to his contract......... ;-7

The same deal is with the Cardinals, except I doubt that they'd even beat the Brewers or Cubs to the playoffs even with Halladay and Carp together. Their starting rotation has been playing over their heads the entire season and won't sustain their production. In addition, they'd have to deal Rasmus, and their farm system is a desert (except for 2008 1st rounder Brett Wallace) if you take him away.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers