Casey Blake to the Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Casey Blake to the Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Casey Blake to the Dodgers

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:10 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:McCourt should sack himself. Colletti sucks but the Dodgers need a new owner, anyone but McCourt.

I just think it's so sad they canned Depodesta because of pressure from the moron talk show hosts out here in LA. He actually had the franchise headed in a solid direction. Now, you have Colletti out here and everyone is satisfied because he hired Torre and they are "near the top of the division" even though they are god awful.

I liked the Dodgers when Depodesta looked like he was running a club that know something about baseball. Now it just sickens me to watch how poorly things are run, and how much denial the entire front office and most of the fan base are in.

I agree wholeheartedly. DePodesta did a great job and provided the foundation for the limited success that has happened during the Colletti era be refusing to trade good prospects for the oppportunity to win 88 games instead of 82. Moreover, he generally avoided stupid huge contracts to questionale veterans. If Colletti was vaguely competent on his FA signings, the Dodgers could have used the DePodesta foundation of good players and a low pay-roll to build a legitimare contender. Instead they are squandering $25M/year on Schmidt, Pierre and Jones.

Think what a capable GM could have done instead with $25M/year a strong cheap talent base.

My real fear is that if Colletti is not fired over the off-season (looking more and more likely) he will squander every last bit of young talent in all out effort to win next year to protect his job. This would be taking a play right out of the playbook of his mentor, the great Sabean. The guy at dodgerblues.com would have an aneurysm.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:21 pm

I can't believe they made a trade for Casey Blake. I mean he's not awful but man
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:43 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:McCourt should sack himself. Colletti sucks but the Dodgers need a new owner, anyone but McCourt.

I just think it's so sad they canned Depodesta because of pressure from the moron talk show hosts out here in LA. He actually had the franchise headed in a solid direction. Now, you have Colletti out here and everyone is satisfied because he hired Torre and they are "near the top of the division" even though they are god awful.

I liked the Dodgers when Depodesta looked like he was running a club that know something about baseball. Now it just sickens me to watch how poorly things are run, and how much denial the entire front office and most of the fan base are in.

Yes, DePodesta sure looked smart for getting Hee-Seop Choi, a hitter he had been dying to plug into the Dodger lineup for. B-)

In all seriousness, DePodesta got a bad rap in the local media given that there's a misunderstanding that all he did was crunch numbers and they just didn't understand the moneyball philosophy in general. He was an OK GM in my opinion, but at least 1) the Dodgers didn't get into Jason Schmidt/Juan Pierre/Andruw Jones-type contracts that Colletti's legacy is now based on and 2) DePodesta was the fall guy for an owner that wasn't willing to exert a great deal of resources into the team itself.

In general, there's really no sense of direction with Ned Colletti's management. In January/February, he was reluctant to trade say, Matt Kemp elsewhere, which was and is the right thing to do. Now, the "kids" (Kemp/Loney/Ethier/Laroche) are considered somewhat more expendable for a seasoned hitter/pitcher who winds up being rubbish or is rubbish to begin with.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yes, DePodesta sure looked smart for getting Hee-Seop Choi, a hitter he had been dying to plug into the Dodger lineup for.

Meh, Choi was a throw-in who still wasn't as awful as say, I don't know, Andruw Jones. ;-7

Colletti knows his job is on the line, so thats why they went from "building for the future" with young guys before the season to "crap we need to do anything we can to win 88 games" now. If the Dodgers come up 3 games short of the playoffs but ruin the farm system, most fans won't be calling for his head. If they come up 10 games short and keep everything in place, he's gonna be fired.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yes, DePodesta sure looked smart for getting Hee-Seop Choi, a hitter he had been dying to plug into the Dodger lineup for.

Meh, Choi was a throw-in who still wasn't as awful as say, I don't know, Andruw Jones. ;-7

Colletti knows his job is on the line, so thats why they went from "building for the future" with young guys before the season to "crap we need to do anything we can to win 88 games" now. If the Dodgers come up 3 games short of the playoffs but ruin the farm system, most fans won't be calling for his head. If they come up 10 games short and keep everything in place, he's gonna be fired.

Not sure why you're assuming most fans won't be begging for Colletti to be sacked if he guts the farm in some way and the team falls short in the pennant race, but I think most have a basic understanding that guys like Kemp, Ethier, Laroche, and Kershaw are the future. Either way, Colletti should be sacked for the big fat contracts he spent on lumps of dirt but I think the root cause of it is Frank McCourt. A deal that would get Sabathia in town without having to give up either Kemp or Kershaw would've been a pretty good deal for a second-half rental if that's all it needs to be. Instead, McCourt allegedly turns down the deal, thinking it's too steep a price to pay, either because he thinks it's an expensive price for prospects (think it was McDonald/Hu/Laroche for CC) or he's flat-out cheap (I think the latter). In an ideal world, I'd say every Dodger fan should boycott McCourt by not going to Dodger games and not buying a penny for anything that goes to McCourt's pockets, but fact of the matter is, he's the wrong owner, as I've said so many times.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I listen to sports talk here in LA for an hour each way to and from work. This is why I'm assuming that the majority of fans (or at least the ones who make noise) don't understand the Dodgers are poorly run. I can't tell you how many times I've heard calls saying we need to make a move to "put us over the top" this season. Over the top? As in what, winning 90 games and eeking past the Dbacks? It's the same thing as all the Laker fans yelling about breaking up the team and starting from scratch when we came up 2 games short in the finals- every LA sports fan wants to win "NOW!".
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:10 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I listen to sports talk here in LA for an hour each way to and from work. This is why I'm assuming that the majority of fans (or at least the ones who make noise) don't understand the Dodgers are poorly run. I can't tell you how many times I've heard calls saying we need to make a move to "put us over the top" this season. Over the top? As in what, winning 90 games and eeking past the Dbacks? It's the same thing as all the Laker fans yelling about breaking up the team and starting from scratch when we came up 2 games short in the finals- every LA sports fan wants to win "NOW!".

Eek, see, that's why I stopped listening to L.A. sports talk radio eons ago. :-b

Of course, virtually all L.A. sports fans want to win now, myself included, and I can't say I blame them. The Dodgers in particular have gone through more than a decade of futility from the organization trickling down to the team (unless you're not counting 2004 which was the miraculous exception). There's natural pent-up frustration when other large market clubs can reload on a whim and yet the Dodgers have had sunk money for a while and/or have a cheapskate of an owner that doesn't quite see the big picture and the small details. The thing that's different than in the years prior is that this wave of prospects has already graduated for lack of a better term and while I agree that most fans would run impatient with the growing pains, I think they're voicing their opinion that they can deal a bumper crop of rookies for established players. However, I think they have some understanding of what's a good return for the kids and what isn't.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:32 am

Not everyone can be Pete Carroll!

I agree that McCourt is a terrible owner. But whenever you are feeling bad, talk to an Orioles fan. Angelos is even worse.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers