Casey Blake to the Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Casey Blake to the Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Casey Blake to the Dodgers

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Source: Indians, Dodgers close to deal sending Blake to L.A.

By Jayson Stark

The Cleveland Indians are closing in on a trade that would send third baseman/outfielder Casey Blake and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for two minor leaguers, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

The teams were in the process of finalizing the deal early Saturday and it appeared the trade could be completed by the end of the day.

The Indians were believed to be receiving minor league catcher Carlos Santana and right-handed pitcher Jon Meloan. Santana is hitting .323, with 14 homers, for Inland Empire, in the Class A California League. The hard-throwing Meloan is 5-10, with a 4.97 ERA, at Triple-A Las Vegas -- but has piled up 335 strikeouts in only 262 innings in his minor league career.

With the trade of Xavier Nady to the Yankees on Friday, Blake was possibly the most highly sought-after bat on the market. Other teams pursuing him included the Rays, Mets and Phillies.

Those three teams would have played Blake in the outfield. But if the trade goes through he'll become the Dodgers' everyday third baseman, replacing slumping rookies Blake DeWitt and Andy LaRoche.

Blake, who can be a free agent after this season, was batting .289 for the Indians, with 11 homers, 58 RBIs and a .398 average with runners in scoring position.

Jayson Stark is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Casey Blake to the Dodgers

Postby clevername » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 pm

I really wish the Dodgers would trade LaRoche to somewhere he can play.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby nateb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Not surprising. The Dodgers had been interested in Blake for a while.
nateb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Fantastic. Looks like we'll have to scrap the "Welcome back, Tru" banner idea now.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 pm

It's cute the Dodgers think 1) they are actually a contending team and 2) Casey Blake is the answer to their lack of hitting, pitching, and fielding.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:58 pm

I'm guessing he's going to 3B right? Hope he continues to be a solid contributor regardless.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:13 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:It's cute the Dodgers think 1) they are actually a contending team and 2) Casey Blake is the answer to their lack of hitting, pitching, and fielding.

Shows what you know about Casey Blake. If I were startiing a team from scratch, I'd base it around him as my centerpiece.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:19 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:It's cute the Dodgers think 1) they are actually a contending team and 2) Casey Blake is the answer to their lack of hitting, pitching, and fielding.

With the NL West as it is, I don't see why they can't make a run at a piece that *might* help them. Blake is by no means the answer like a Sabathia or Holliday but the NL playoffs figures to be a crapshoot although the Dodgers will muff it entirely as they always have in either being too cheap or not proactive enough.

As for the move, management just doesn't know when to ride their patience or be impatient enough to move. I've always been a proponent for Andy Laroche but aside from running in with injuries, unfortunately he hasn't had his chances to make a good impression.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm

I don't see how this solves anything for the Dodgers. Maybe if we got someone stupid enough to take Andruw Jones' contract from us, that would help.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:29 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:

Shows what you know about Casey Blake. If I were startiing a team from scratch, I'd base it around him as my centerpiece.

You're crazy...
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers