Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Matthias wrote:In a final, "Manny being Manny" moment
Of all the Manny moments in Boston, the last ranks as one of the most confounding. Within an hour after Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein informed Manny Ramírez he had been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers Thursday, Ramírez's agent, Scott Boras, called the Sox back, according to a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations. If the Sox dropped the option years on his contract - which they had agreed to do if they traded him - Boras said Ramírez would not be a problem the rest of the season.

Boras is denying this BTW. Not that that tells us anything. I'm sure he'd deny it either way.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:26 pm

The Handsome One wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lmao. :-b What did I say??

I have no idea whether this happened or not. But, based on his erratic behavior, would this really surprise you? Or is it just easier to believe that this is some sort of calculated conspiracy involving Peter Gammons, millions of Red Sox fans, NESN, WEEI, the organization itself, etc.?

It doesn't surprise me at all. I said from the beginning that I didn't think the Sox needed to trade Manny. Just have Theo come out after the deadline and say that Manny is too important to the team in 2008. Then offer to decline his options at the end of the year. This was not a situation that was impossible to be worked out of for a measly 2 months. Give Manny what he wants, free agency, and he'd have been content. Instead, they gave him away and likely worsened their chances in the process.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm

What is this all about?

From Rotoworld:
The Boston Globe is reporting that the commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny Ramirez's departure the Red Sox.
A source with direct knowledge of the inquiry told the Globe that Bud Selig directed MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner. The reason behind the investigation, according to the report, is that some believe Ramirez was playing at less than full effort at the end of his tenure in Boston. Of course, all Manny did in July was hit a mere .347/.473/.587 in 22 games. Aug. 7 - 10:40 pm et
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Old_Style wrote:What is this all about?

From Rotoworld:
The Boston Globe is reporting that the commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny Ramirez's departure the Red Sox.
A source with direct knowledge of the inquiry told the Globe that Bud Selig directed MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner. The reason behind the investigation, according to the report, is that some believe Ramirez was playing at less than full effort at the end of his tenure in Boston. Of course, all Manny did in July was hit a mere .347/.473/.587 in 22 games. Aug. 7 - 10:40 pm et

Ridiculous... Maybe they should poll the FO and the clubhouse to prove that Manny was dogging it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Yoda wrote:
Old_Style wrote:What is this all about?

From Rotoworld:

Ridiculous... Maybe they should poll the FO and the clubhouse to prove that Manny was dogging it.

I wish all the Yankees would dog it to the tune of .347/.473/.587. :-°
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Ridiculous... Maybe they should poll the FO and the clubhouse to prove that Manny was dogging it.

I wish all the Yankees would dog it to the tune of .347/.473/.587. :-°

Yep... What about having the luxury of saying 'good riddance' and 'washed up' about the said player?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 pm

so it's illegal half-assing it?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:so it's illegal half-assing it?

I'm expecting Congress to step in on this one.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

did anyone catch this last night? i was wondering what was going on when manny took the field late and i read this:

"Last night, after a key Manny Ramirez single, Joe Torre pointed to him as a means of congratulating him. Manny, for reasons unknown, assumed he meant that he was being taken out. So the next inning, when the players took the field, Manny was dropping a deuce in the locker room"
:-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:44 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:did anyone catch this last night? i was wondering what was going on when manny took the field late and i read this:

"Last night, after a key Manny Ramirez single, Joe Torre pointed to him as a means of congratulating him. Manny, for reasons unknown, assumed he meant that he was being taken out. So the next inning, when the players took the field, Manny was dropping a deuce in the locker room"
:-D

Manny being Manny. :-b
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers