Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Sox (Merged)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:46 am

So following on the heels of the 3-strikes-looking controversy, complaining about Sox ownership, acting like an idiot after missing a pop fly in Anaheim, getting fined for pushing down an old man, and fighting with Youkilis in the dugout... now Manny has pulled himself out of the lineup the last two games - including a huge game last night against the Yankees - with an apparent knee injury that did not happen during a practice or game (not that management knew about) and did not show anything on MRI (odd that a knee injury too minor to show up on MRI would require 3 days off).

Is this just a series of staged mini-controversies to force the Red Sox to not pick up his options and let him go to free agency where he can get a 4 year deal? It wouldn't be the first time that Manny has tried to get out of Boston - recall the trade requests pretty much every year up until last year. Obviously no one knows for sure if he took those 3 called strikes against Mariano or whether his knee is really hurting him, but it sure seems like a growing pattern. One of the last things that Manny wants right now is for the Red Sox to pick up only one of those two $20M options when this could very well be the last year Manny can squeeze a huge 4 year deal out of someone as his numbers are clearly heading in the wrong direction. Is it any surprised he switched agents and joined forces with Boras?

One of my least favorite writers ever in Boston (Shaughnessy) seems to think so, for whatever that's worth:

Something's got to give. The owners are mad. The manager is frustrated. The GM is frustrated. Teammates are angry. Even with sycophants who excuse everything, Manny may have finally exhausted his reservoir of goodwill. He quit on the team in 2006 and now it looks like he's quitting again. Is that OK with you, Red Sox Nation?

Full article:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/26/now_hes_a_guaranteed_out/?page=2
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Manny Forcing His Way Out of Boston?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:47 am

ugh...

I was the first one to say that there was no way the Sox would not pick up his option for next year but this is starting to get out of control. They really needed him in the line-up last night and you would think that, a guy as important to his team's success as Manny is, would be in there last night for such a big game. Now, if he's really hurt, that's one thing, but I have this feeling that its just not the case and that this is just some drama revolving around the contract issue.

What really gets to me is that there is a very real possibility that the Sox miss the playoffs this year. The bullpen is a mess (though they pitched well last night), they're still not playing well on the road (I'm not going to bank too much on a sweep of Seattle), and, traditionally, they don't play as well in the second half as they do in the first half. Couple this with the fact that Tampa is still hanging in there and the Yankees are starting to make their annual run at the division and things could get ugly quick if Manny continues to be a distraction and an irritation...

I don't like it at all...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:58 am

Yeah, what I find interesting is that obviously Manny is not tanking his own performance on the field, but doing all these off the field things. That way he keeps up the numbers, but keeps taking digs at management... seems like the perfect recipe for getting out of town - which sucks. When Manny is interested, he is awesome to have on the team - his shortcomings and all. I was hoping they'd pick up the option for next year then maybe make a run at Holliday for 2010, but now I'm not so sure.

Even if the Sox believe Manny is forcing his way out - what do they do? The only control they have is the options. I doubt they want to pick up both options, so the next logical step is to just pick up next year's option. But if they do that, they don't fix anything this year and are back in the same boat next year, with Manny doing the same thing again. They could offer him an extension, but if you are the Sox, Boras will insist on 4 years and $80M (which I doubt Manny will get on the open market).

Maybe the Sox should promise Manny and Boras they WON'T pick up the options if he acts like a good boy the rest of the year, as back-asswards as that sounds. At least then they can compete this year, get two good draft picks for letting him leave, and have $20M to spend on Teixeira or Sabathia.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 am

Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 am

I'd like to think that all these theatrics would hurt Manny's value in the eyes of other organizations, but unfortunately I doubt it. I just can't imagine any team being thrilled with the idea that if Manny doesn't like something their playoff hopes would dwindle with the intentional strikeouts and the fielding goofs.

If he's injured I hope he gets better soon, but this sounds like the type of injury that players play through.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Ursa » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:09 am

MashinSpuds wrote:I'd like to think that all these theatrics would hurt Manny's value in the eyes of other organizations, but unfortunately I doubt it. I just can't imagine any team being thrilled with the idea that if Manny doesn't like something their playoff hopes would dwindle with the intentional strikeouts and the fielding goofs.

Surely these theatrics must limit the number of teams willing to give Manny the contract he wants? Any contract he was offered would have to contain a bunch of get-out clauses and hedge conditions to enable the team to bail out if Manny reverts to type. The amount of teams with the wherewithal to fund a bloated contract of the typical Boras ilk is already very limited - well run teams that are able to fund a Manny contract will surely think twice and three times about doing so.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Maris09 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 am

What about trading Manny now at the deadline?

I know his contract is pretty big, but some team might want him.
To Atl for Teixeira maybe?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:46 am

Maris09 wrote:What about trading Manny now at the deadline?

And why would ATL do that?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
Maris09 wrote:What about trading Manny now at the deadline?

And why would ATL do that?

Agreed - I can't in a million years see that.

I actually can't even see Manny agreeing to any trade anywhere (unless that team was willing to negotiate a new 4+ year contract) - so the Sox hands are tied there too.

I found this quote strange from McAdam:

Ironically, if the Sox sour on Ramirez further and decide not to exercise the 2009 option — a decision they must make by the first week of November — such a tactic would free Ramirez to auction himself off to the highest bidder for a longer deal, one far more lucrative than the $40 million represented by the two options the Sox hold.

Can he really get a deal FAR MORE LUCRATIVE than 2 years and $40M? I don't consider 4 years and $60M far more lucrative, and I'd guess that is the absolute max a 37 year old mediocre defensive OF is going to get.
Last edited by Bloody Sox on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 pm

The Sox can suspend him if they are tired of his act but they really need his bat especially in the post season. Why does it always seem like Boston always runs their once great players out of town?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers